Cameras forum

General discussion

Please help me update my panasonic dmcfz3

Im thinking of giving my girlfriend my dmc fz3. Then I will be updating to a nikon coolpix 8800. I would like some input if this is a good enough upgrade? Going to europe and wanting a good camera for the ride.. Please comment, Im the point and shoot guy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me update my panasonic dmcfz3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me update my panasonic dmcfz3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since the Coolpix 8800....

In reply to: Please help me update my panasonic dmcfz3

is kind of old and might be hard to find, I would suggest the Panaosnic DMC-FZ7, an upgrade to the one you had. In fact, a very good upgrade:

6MP vs 3MP
Manual focus
More shutter speed options
Larger resolution video
Larger LCD
Only $300 ($250 on sale sometimes)

I personally own this camera and I have to say it is the best point-and-shoot megazoom camera available.

Collapse -
Panasonic dmc- FZ3

In reply to: Since the Coolpix 8800....

I found the coolpix on ebay at about half the price of the orig. price. I just hate spending more than 600.00 with the filters and extras.

Collapse -
$600???

In reply to: Panasonic dmc- FZ3

My FZ7 was $250 at CC. The filters on Panasonic's website were about $30-40(probably cheaper at other places). The lenses were about $200 but with a 12x zoom, why would you even need those??? I don't think you would even get to pay over $400 for this camera...

If you can get the one on eBay, that's fine. It looks to be good. Hope you can find accessories for it since it is about 5 years old...

Collapse -
Nikon 8800

In reply to: Please help me update my panasonic dmcfz3

The 8800 was the last premium DSLR-like camera that Nikon produced.

It was announced in Sept of 2004.

Here is a review of the 8800:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8800/

If the one you are buying is in good shape, it should serve you well for many years.

Nearly all of these DSLR-like cameras have disappeared from the market, and the low cost DSLR cameras have taken their place.
I believe the Sony R1 is the only such camera currently available.

The Sony R1 was introduced Sept of 2005 and if you shop around you can find it for about $700 new.

Here is a look at the R1 specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscr1.asp

Collapse -
sony R-1 vs. coolpix 8800

In reply to: Nikon 8800

I like the Sony too. Which do you think would make a better camera for an amateur? One thing turning me off on the Sony is the size and weight of it. Looks like they are both priced about the same.

Collapse -
Comparison

In reply to: sony R-1 vs. coolpix 8800

You should take a few minutes and really study the specifications.

Here is a comparison chart:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_cp8800%2Csony_dscr1&show=all

One obvious difference is the Nikon has a larger optical zoom.

But when you look at other points, the Sony comes out ahead.

The Sony R1 is as close to buying a DSLR as you can get.
It has a CCD sensor that is almost the same size as the Nikon D80.

When you look at sample photos....Nikon 8800 and the Sony R1 produce top notch photos.
But the Sony photos are a bit sharper and show detail better.
The best of the best.

Collapse -
FZ-30 upgrade? now Im confused about upgrading!

In reply to: Comparison

Whiz kid now has me thinking of staying with the panasonic. Since Im already used to the FZ-3 Im thinking of the FZ-30. Its economical and I assume the operating functions are about the same. I just love the performance I got from my FZ-3. Anyone care to comment.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.