TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Please help me make a decision! Plasma/LCD

by Jrflat / November 1, 2010 12:29 AM PDT

I want to get a new TV, I have a 5 year old Samsung Plasma 42 inch TV that is 720. I want to move up to a 46 or a 50 and I want 1080 to get the most out of our HD cable and Blu-Ray. I am trying to decided between getting another Plasma or getting an LCD-LED tv. I am totally on the fence and I cannot make a decision. I have gone to our local Best Buy and looked at the TVs, the LCD-LEDs have such a clear crisp picture compared to the Plasma on display but it that just the calibration at the store? Are thy trying to push the LCD-LED tvs? The LED-LCD tv looks brighter as well, again is that just the calibration?

The TVs I am looking at are below, a Samsung LCD and a Panisonic Plasma. I have never owner a Panisonic TV before but I understand they are on par with the high end Pioneer Plasmas becasue Panisonic now has many of the Pioneer engineers working for them.

I want to get a TV but I cannot decide, any help anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Samsung LCD-LED $1299
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LED-LCD+HDTV/9784657.p?id=1218173778085&skuId=9784657

Panisonic Plasma $1099
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+/+50%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9788953.p?id=1218175321979&skuId=9788953

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me make a decision! Plasma/LCD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me make a decision! Plasma/LCD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Calibration and viewing conditions/source is everything
by Pepe7 / November 2, 2010 1:51 AM PDT

Don't let the poor viewing conditions & crappy feeds at Best Buy sway you to LCD. The G20 is most certainly capable of better PQ than the lower end Samsung you're looking at. The price different pays for the calibration, basically.

What sort of viewing conditions will you be experiencing at home?

Collapse -
viewing conditions
by Jrflat / November 2, 2010 2:58 AM PDT

I am concerned that Best Buy and other stores are pushing people to LCDs, why is that? The LCD-LEDs and LCDs almost always look better in the stores than the Plasma TVs. All It seems like Plasmas still offer the better quality but everyone is still all about LCDS. Basically i just want to get the best I can for my money and I do not want to look back a year from now and wish I would have got LCD or LED-LCD.

The TV is going to be in our TV room, small room with two west facing windows that are opposite the TV. No the brightest room only really gets sun later in the day. We are about 8-9 feet max from the TV while viewing. The source is a HD DVR through our cable company (Time Warner). I also have a Blu-Ray player and a HDMI dvd player.

Collapse -
Simple
by Pepe7 / November 3, 2010 4:55 PM PDT
In reply to: viewing conditions

There's a slightly higher profit margin on LCDs. Source= friend who is an independant technical consultant to Best Buy.

Again, I suggest you do more research. For better PQ in your home all roads will lead you back to plasma. It does not sound like your viewing space has anywhere near the extreme lighting conditions that might warrant testing out an LCD.

Don't forget Best Buy also pushes things like extended warranties & expensive Monster Brand cables. Look at the profit margins of those two things to get a better sense of why they push certain items.

Collapse -
Is Plamsa a Dead/Dying technology
by Jrflat / November 4, 2010 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple

Someone else told me to stay with the LED/LCD because Plasma is a dead/dying technology, do you think that is true?

Collapse -
Dead or not is not the question.
by ahtoi / November 4, 2010 3:28 AM PDT

More important is..does the company that makes them will still exist (and I think they will), not that I agreed with you that it's a dead technology. Just my take on it.

Collapse -
Stop listening to such persons
by Pepe7 / November 4, 2010 6:03 AM PDT

I've even heard such drivel coming out of engineers mouths, and it's not true. Just because LED-LCD is newer technology doesn't mean it's the better technology. The beauty of plasma tech is the pixels are 'on' or 'off', which is what creates the deeper blacks. There's none of the BS/trickery that's involved w/ backlit or edge lit pixels like you have w/ LCD.

Here's a site with some basic info behind some of the various types of display tech-
http://preher-tech.com/plasmadisplay.aspx

Collapse -
I think I am going with the Plasma
by Jrflat / November 8, 2010 2:17 AM PST

After looking into all the options I think i am going with the Panisonic Plasma 50 inch TC-P50G20. Right now I have the 42 and when looking at the 42 inch and the 46 inch there is not much size difference, the 50 bigger but not too big for the small room I have. The Plasma picture also seems to be a bit more realistic and the overall colors seems more real. The LED is crisp but the colors matter too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.