Question

Please help me! Laptop deal ends Tuesday!- College Engineer

Hi! I'm an undergrad majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE). Currently, I have a HP Pavilion DV7-3180US 17.3-Inch Laptop (http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-DV7-3180US-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0030XTISE). I got such a huge laptop screen since I'm used to my desktop size of 24inches, plus I thought I would be playing games and watching lots of movies on the laptop. But after freshman year, I have learned that there isn't much time to do those things. So now I am thinking about getting a smaller laptop, since I feel like carrying the 17.3 inch laptop was becoming more of a burden and hassle since it was so big and bulky. Plus the laptop didn't even fit completely on some of the desks at my college like the little individual swivel chairs in the big lecture halls.

So I was wondering if this laptop would be good for running engineering programs and work? It's the HP Envy 14 Beats laptop from Costco http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11652298&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4047229%204294967277&Mo=15&pos=1&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&topnav=. The deal ends Tuesday, which is why I need your help fast.

And with the deal of $250 off, this is cheaper than buying the basic configuration from the HP website which starts at $1024 here http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/ENVY14be_series/3/computer_storeOn this laptop buying advice here http://laptopbuyingadvice.com/this-month/best-laptop-for-college-students/, it recommends getting a Core i7 microprocessor from Intel and at least 2.2Ghz, which I think the HP meets both. But then they also recommend having a number keypad on the right, which the HP Envy doesn't have. Do you think a keypad is really necessary? Or do you think I'll be fine with this Envy laptop. I only took general classes my freshman year so I didn't really do lots of engineering type things. The only thing I did that was mostly towards my major last year was programming, but that didn't use many numbers at all. So I think I could personally do without the keypad but if it gets bad I could always get the USB keypad add ons haha.

What do you guys think about the HP Envy 14 Beats laptop working for my engineering major and about the keypad? Any input or help is greatly appreciated...especially before Tuesday since that's when the deal ends!! Thanks so much.

Originally, I really wanted the Samsung Series 9 but I'm worried that it won't be able to handle the engineering program and work that I will need to do in the next couple of years. I also saw some other people recommend the Hp dv6 which is a 16inch laptop.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Please help me! Laptop deal ends Tuesday!- College Engineer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please help me! Laptop deal ends Tuesday!- College Engineer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
OR should wait for the LG P330 laptop?
- Collapse -
Answer
So this is not a laptop?

And you won't be carrying around your i7 or 17 inch laptop? Then go for that. These are not "laptops" but desktop replacements. Many never lived and carted around such things and learn what poor choices the quad core i7 and 17+ inch laptops are for portable use.

The 14 may have the nicer dual core i7 and the right size if you intend to use this as a laptop.
Bob

- Collapse -
i'm confused by your subject title?

sorry but i'm confused with your subject title when you said- so this is not a laptop? are you talking about the 17in one? the 17in one is the only laptop i have. i used to carry it around with me in my backpack all the time for the first month or 2 since i was really worried about college theft haha. but then i stopped carrying it around with me in my backpack unless i knew i was going to go study somewhere else other than my room. like if i had to meet someone and work on a project and i knew i was going to use my laptop for sure, i would bring it.

actually could you give me your input with the samsung series 9 notebook for my major instead? i just talked to my dad and he said that my 17in laptop is 7 something lbs online and the hp envy 14 beats is close at about 6 something lbs, so that way i should just go with the samsung one if i want to get something way more portable

- Collapse -
The series 9 I know is

Is one of those ultra portables and would never compare well with a quad core fire belching unit. It's odd to compare such. It appears your goals are unclear. Let me state again that 17 inch, quad core i7 units do not fare well for students carrying it around. In short, "the life span is reduced" along with all the other issues.

Why not the nice series 9?
Bob

- Collapse -
series 9 under cnet's best 5 laptops
- Collapse -
I didn't write that.

I noted your goals seem confused. Your post lead off with a 17 inch i7 and then is looking at the nice series 9 thin and light unit.

It's like comparing a sports car and a sedan.
Bob

CNET Forums