Rant

PLEASE help me get my tv and surround sound audio in sync!

New here...

Extremely frustrated with trying to get my audio sync correctly on this set up.

Tv
Sharp Aquos - LC-60LE63004

Surround Sound
Sony - BDV-E780W

I have HDMI cables going from the tv to the surround sound and from the cable box to the surround sound. The tv is on a wall and I only have one long HDMI cable. The short cable I used for the cable box to the surround receiver. Do I need to go from the cable box straight to the tv?

I looked in settings and don't see much that is going to help me. I read there should be an audio sync option but I don't see it. I see a "fine sync" option but it is greyed out.

PLEASE HELP! : )

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: PLEASE help me get my tv and surround sound audio in sync!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PLEASE help me get my tv and surround sound audio in sync!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
We need more specifics, but...

...before I ask that, this is how I suggest you start as a 'baseline' for connecting everything. Keep things as simple as possible.

Cable box (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sony BDV-E780W

Sony BDV (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sharp HDTV

If there are no audio delay settings buried somewhere in the reciever audio configuration menus, you could definitely opt to connect everything this way instead to see if the delay is reduced/disappears:

Cable box (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sharp HDTV

Cable box (digital optical OR digital coxial out) --> (digital optical OR digital coaxial in) Sony surround unit
*in some cases, depending on which cable box/hardware you own(?), you may have to go into the cable box menu and select our audio output type (HDMI, digital optical, etc.).

Sony BDV (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sharp HDTV

Let us know if that helps.

-Pedro

- Collapse -
Think we are on to something...

I tried your second idea with the optical going from cable box to the surround unit. It seems on track. However, how do I access my blu-ray player?

- Collapse -
I see it above.

"Sony BDV (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sharp HDTV"

I had to rearrange my cables to get this all working. However if you don't have a newer "receiver" then you have to make choices about the setup. That is, which system gets the HD audio until you can figure out if you want a new receiver or if a switch box can work.
Bob

CNET Forums