Cameras forum

General discussion

Please help me find a good camera!

Hi everyone. I love this site, it has tons of info, but I am having a hard time trying to find a good camera.
I was watching the video reviews of the digital cameras, I saw that they picked the Canon Powershot S80 for "Editor's Choice", does this mean that this camera is the best? I am considering to buy that camera. I also saw the "Must Have Camera" Canon Powershot A520, but hated the style and the small LCD display, but loved that it took multiple pictures in just a few seconds, capturing every move. I was interested in the Sony Cybershot DSC-W70, but when I watched the video review of it, Will Greenwald said that it has a plastic cover where the cable goes and will break very easily, so I changed my mind because my TV remote has a similar cover where the batteries go in, and I already have broken that.
Basically, I am looking for a nice, sturdy camera, nothing too professional, nothing too fancy. I would love the camera to be able to take multiple pics in say 7 seconds, rather than waiting for the camera to take a few seconds to load, this destroys what you wanted to take a picture of in the first place. I would like the camera to have a 7 mega pixel or higher but a 5 would be fine too. I would like the LCD display to be 2 or 2.5 inches.
Please any suggestions are welcome.
P.S. Does anyone know how I can email Will Greenwald? I love watching his videos more than anyone on CNET.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me find a good camera!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me find a good camera!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Editor's Choice

In reply to: Please help me find a good camera!

Editor's Choice just means that the editor liked that camera above all of the others. It does not mean it is the best.

The Canon S80 is a very capable camera, plus it has a wide angle lens which many people like. It has the additional manual controls that all advanced photographers like to have.

But what is the best for the editor, may not be best for you.
Unless you have had some photography classes or are willing to learn more about photography, the manual controls will be of no value to you.

It sounds as if you are still looking, so I suggest you go to a store where you can get your hands on a Canon S3-IS and see what you think.
It has an excellent continuous shooting ability.
It also has a 12X optical zoom.
If it too big, too heavy or what?
What features do you like/dislike, need/not-need?
Then let us know.

Collapse -
Please help me find a good camera!

In reply to: Editor's Choice

Hey thanks for the reply.
The Canon S3-IS is too fancy for me. I just want a simple camera so I can take normal basic pictures of my everyday life, friends, vacations, holidays, but I want a good camera with a reasonable price. I am still a student and can't afford those high priced cameras.
What about the Canon Powershot SD600? I am very interested in that.
Also, will the prices for the digital cameras go down after Christmas?
Like I said, I am still a student and I would love to save as much money as I can.

Collapse -
Camera for a student

In reply to: Please help me find a good camera!

OK...now we are getting somewhere.

The Canon S80 is also probably more than you need.

The Canon SD600 is a good choice.
If you want to take photos at concerts and other places indoors, you should also consider the Fujifilm F20 (about $180).
Another camera around $200 is the Sony W30. The Sony W50 is the same camera with a larger LCD.

Here is a look at their specifications side-by-side:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd600%2Cfuji_finepixf20%2Csony_dscw30%2Csony_dscw50&show=all

Collapse -
Camera Fujifilm F20

In reply to: Camera for a student

Hi. You seem to know so much more than me.
I looked at the Fujifilm F20 and it looks good and the price is really good, do you know what are the pros and cons of it?

Collapse -
Fujifilm F20

In reply to: Camera Fujifilm F20

The only negative I see, is that it does not have a viewfinder.
Many times in bright sun it is difficult to see a LCD, and a viewfinder comes in handy under that circumstance.

But more that half of the very small cameras have no viewfinder.
When they went to very large LCDs, there was no room left to put a viewfinder. You can't put two bushels of stuff in a one bushel container. People want small cameras and large LCDs -- good-by viewfinder.

But the camera makers are using better LCDs and glare filters to alleviate the problem of bright sun reflecting on the LCD.

However the F20 and its big brother (F30) are the best small cameras for low light situations. Their ISO can be set to ISO-1600 without excessive noise. This is because of the Fujifilm design of the CCD sensor. No one has equaled it yet for small cameras.

Collapse -
FujiFilm F20

In reply to: Fujifilm F20

Do you know if the FujiFilm F20 can take many shots in a few seconds? Or does it take a while to load until the next picture?
I would like a camera to snap the shot when I press the button, not 2 seconds later, because it destroys what you wanted to take a picture of in the first place.

Collapse -
Performance

In reply to: FujiFilm F20

You are actually asking several questions:

1. Shutter lag....the time between when you press down the shutter button and the photo is captured. The F20 should have a shutter lag the same as the F30, which is 0.2 second. It doesn't get much better than that.

2. Shot to Shot time....the time after you take a photo until you can take another.

3. Continuous shooting....the setting that lets you hold down the shutter button and it continues to shoot as fast as it can.

Remember...on number 2 and 3, shooting with flash will result in longer delays between shots because the flash capacitor has to recharge before it can shoot again. That time is variable and is a result of how fresh the battery is and how far away the subject is.

Here is a link for the F30, which is the same as the F20. Except that the F20 does not have aperture priority and shutter priority settings.
The F20 is new and has not been reviewed yet.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fuji_f30_pg5.html

Collapse -
Canon SD600 or Fujifilm F20?

In reply to: Performance

So do you think that the Fujifilm F20 is a good camera?
I was reading yesterday tons of reviews about the Canon SD600 and
I was thinking to save up my money for that, what do you think? Is it really worth the price? Or should I get the Fujifilm??
I want to buy me a camera that will still be good in a few years and I would like to buy only 1 good camera instead of buying a few of the not-so-good cameras.
One of the Major reasons why I am thinking to get the Canon is because here on cnet its the most popular camera and on amazon.com it ranks #1 in the camera sales.
Do you know if Canon SD600 takes pics fast?
THANK U SO MUCH!!!

Collapse -
SD600 - F20

In reply to: Canon SD600 or Fujifilm F20?

It is just about a toss-up on these two cameras.
Each has an advantage or two over the other.

The SD600 is faster shooting when using continuous shoot mode.
And it has less shutter lag. 0.1 second as opposed to 0.2 second.
And it has a viewfinder.

The F20 has better low light ability, and a very strong flash.

The picture quality is about the same....too close to call.

Pick the one YOU like......you will be pleased with either one.

Collapse -
SD600 or F20

In reply to: SD600 - F20

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for all the help. OK, back to the subject, It's so hard to choose, UGH! In your opinion, Do you think I should spend the extra money and get the SD600 or save my money and get the F20? I think that this will help me a lot........
If you were in my position, what camera would you choose?

Collapse -
Which

In reply to: SD600 or F20

If you are planning to take a lot of photos indoors (with and without flash), select the F20.

If your photography is more general with a few indoor shots, choose the SD600.

Collapse -
Which

In reply to: Which

OK. That helped a lot! Although I will be taking some shots outdoors, I will be most of time taking lots of shots indoors.
I am just curious, How is the quality of the F20 when taking shots outdoors?

Collapse -
Which

Here is a sample photo that I took today with a Fujifilm F30.
The F30 is the same as the F20, but it has manual controls.
The camera was set to Automatic mode, the photo was taken at 1/750th of a second, aperture f6.5 and ISO 200.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/DSCF0008CL.jpg

The photo was not altered with software other than cropping and resizing to reduce the file size. The original file size was 2.89 meg.
The photo was taken at 6 meg setting, best quality.

Indoor and Outdoor performance is excellent.

The F20/F30 does not have a viewfinder.
Today was bright and sunny but I was able to see the subject OK with the LCD display. And I did not need a viewfinder.

Collapse -
Fujifilm F20

Hi. The picture that you took with the F30 is great. It's very clear even after the cropping and resizing. I realize that the F20 does not come with a viewfinder, do you think that its a big blow to the camera or its not that big of a deal?
Another question, the Canon SD600 comes with features like color swaps, black and white pics. Does the F20 have similar special features like that?

Collapse -
XD memory card

I just found out right now that the F20 uses only XD memory cards. I have read that the XD memory cards are expensive, hard to find, and hard to deal with. What is the big difference between the XD memory cards and the other memory cards?

Collapse -
xD memory card

I went shopping for my first xD memory card about two weeks ago.
I went to Staples and found the PNY distributor brand on sale.
The package contained a 1-gig xD memory card with an Olympus label on the card.
(Olympus and Fujifilm developed the xD memory card)
The sale price was $35 and I got a $10 mail-in/Internet-in discount.
My final price will be $25.

It appears the stigma of high price for xD cards is going away.

I have not heard of, or experienced any problem with the xD memory card.

Collapse -
After Christmas Sale?

Hi. I think that I am going to go ahead and purchase the Fujifilm F20. Thank you for all the help.
Do you know if the camera prices will go down after Christmas?
I would like to save as much money as I can.
Thank You!

Collapse -
After Christmas Sales

The stores will probably sell out many of the cameras before Christmas. If you see any after Christmas sales, they will be on a local basis.

Collapse -
Black & White

Do you know if the F20 takes black and white pics?
If so, does it have a mode where you can take as many black and white pics or do you take the color picture and then change it to black and white?
Let me know.
Thank You!

Collapse -
Black and White

Collapse -
Thank You!

Bless you Snapshot!
You have been such a big big help. I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate it. I am sold and I will buy the Fujifilm F20.
Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.