HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

Question

Please help me find a digital camera

by Needacam / November 29, 2013 1:03 AM PST

I am buying a camera as a gift but need your help. The person I'm getting this for enjoys both landscape photography and sporting evens (high school football and soccer). This is for an amateur photographer who has used their iPhone up to this point. Which "type" of camera do I need for high quality sports and landscape shots - ones that can be print great 16x20's but potentially larger too. As for a budget, I would like to first learn about the type of camera I need for the uses above before I set a strict budget. I dont need a tiny camera, though something at least semi portable is ideal. Thank you in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me find a digital camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me find a digital camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What camera do they have now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 1:17 AM PST

And remember that the camera does not take or make the shot. This drives folk crazy at times and there are lot of nice DSLR and mirrorless cameras today. For me, I won't go without a viewfinder.
Bob

Collapse -
by Needacam / November 29, 2013 2:15 AM PST

Thank you for your comments Bob. I didn't mean to suggest that 'anyone' can take perfect photos. I am just trying to find the best camera to aid someone in taking a quality photo, would that be a DSLR

Collapse -
Or one of the new mirrorless models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

It's been debated that reducing parts can really help. There was a very good reason for SLR and now its muddier than ever.

Lots of nice web sites with example pictures so my comment is what I won't go without.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's dive into the iphone as a camera fray.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2013 2:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
For high school football...
by MarkatNite / November 29, 2013 6:51 AM PST

...I'd say the bare minimum would be a Panasonic FZ200. It has a decent amount of zoom (to 600mm full frame equiv.) which you'll need for capturing people 50+ yards away and a relatively bright lens (constant f2.8) for capturing pics in low light (i.e. Friday Night Lights).

Printing low light action pics shot on an FZ200 at 16x20 is going to be pushing it, but anything capable of professional quality prints at that size or larger is going to cost several thousand dollars and require a tripod/monopod (i.e. it will not be anywhere near as portable as the FZ200). e.g. Canon 70D ($1,000) + 70-200mm f2.8 ($1,500) (or $2,500 for the IS version) + 200-400mm f4 ($10,000) (+ 2nd 70D body so you don't have to switch lenses another $1,000).

Mark

Collapse -
Mark?
by Needacam / November 29, 2013 11:44 AM PST

Do either or both of these cameras fit my needs in the original post? Sony HX300 or Fuji HS50EXR

Collapse -
Compare
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 30, 2013 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Mark?

Here is a comparison chart:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=panasonic_dmcfz200&products=sony_dschx300&products=fujifilm_hs50exr

The Panasonic will give you the best picture quality.
The Sony and Fujifilm have too many pixels for such a small sensor assembly.
12 megapixels is about ideal, for that size sensor.
Once you get above 12 megapixels, the camera has to include noise reductrion firmware, which reduces detail.
The Panasonic will perform better in low light, again because of the smaller number of pixels
Also because the lens brightness decreases as you zoom further.
The Panasonic lens does not darken as you zoom.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.