Desktops forum

General discussion

Please help me decide

by thelms / February 25, 2005 3:48 PM PST

I am going to purchase a new computer after 8 years of using an HP8275. This computer has been good to me and is still going strong. For some reason after installing software (either EZ firwall or HP photosmart) I now recieve a not DRIVERIF.DLL was not found. No idea how it happened or what to do.

New computer option. I have had a great experience with HP but I am on a tight budget.

System: HP A810e $808 after taxes
AMD Seprom
512 MB
160 GB
Dual Drives (DVD)
Flat Panel

Is the 810N better?

System 2: Dell Dimension 3000 $730 after tax
Pentium 4
512 MB
80 GB
Dual Drive (CD only)
Flat Panel
memory key

I don't want to spend over $700 what is the best system for the best price?

Is e-machine or any other I am not familiar with reliable?

Primary use: photos, email, word processing, high-speed cable modem, everyday use.

Thank you for your help:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me decide
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me decide
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DO NOT GET A SEMPRON!!!!!!!!
by cv4stm / February 25, 2005 8:42 PM PST
In reply to: Please help me decide

please, for the love of god, don't ge ta sempron. Check out the emachines on Best Buy. I have had one for a couple years and it works great

Collapse -
Intel bought me a long time ago.
by ParnaoidGuy / February 25, 2005 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Please help me decide

I made a decision many years ago to use only Intel processors whenever possibel, and I have never been unhappy with that decision.

On the few times I have used AMD I have had issues.

Because i do not pay attention any more to AMD I am not absolutely sure about the next few iseas that may sway your decision, but they are things to think about.

Intels P4 has a little doobie called hyperthreading. In esssence a CPU that can do more than one thing at time. True multitasking, not to be confused with pre- emptive multitasking where it only seems you are doing more than one thing ata time.

I noticed from the specs that the P4 had a half the storage space, and no dvd writer.

Good choice of brand names, and i want to send a nice big "wHaT ArE U Thinking!!" to the person that reccomended an E-machine at worst buy. Retail is the last place you should ever buy a PC. E-machines are some of the wost pc's I have ever had the displeasure to have to deal with. Fine if you are going to surf the net and write papers, but that is about it.

I LOVE HP and Dell products, but thier optical drive prices are high. A nice double sided 16X dvd writer can be had for abot 60 dollars. This upgrade can be done any time and fast and painless.

Hard drives are equally easy to add if you want more storage space.

I would definately reccomend checking out some online retailers such as Tigerdirect, Newegg, and Geeks to see what they have in the P4 family. Geeks especially has a fluctuating stock from day to day and occasionally has just killer deals on systems.

Ultimately i have to say go with the P4.

Collapse -
The same Atlon 64 and Sampron?
by thelms / February 26, 2005 12:18 AM PST

Thank you for your help.

Is the Athlon 64 and sampron the same? If not is the Athlon 64 a good processor?

Collapse -
A64 and Sempron are good...
by racer42 / February 26, 2005 12:37 AM PST

They are not the same though. Athlon 64 is a higher end processor and you wont find one in a $800 machine. The Sempron can be thought of like the Celeron in the Intel line. If you were working fine with your 8 year old machine and the driver issue is the only nag, any moden budget machine will work better than your old one. Visit www.gotapex.com they list the current best Dell offers. You can get a better box for your $700-800 than you had listed.

Collapse -
Am I decided?
by thelms / February 26, 2005 1:23 AM PST

After reading your messages, I think I finally decided on the HP A810n which has an AMD 64, 512mb, 160gb and all the other basics . . . for $630. Will this be a reliable system?

Collapse -
Re: HP A810n
by John Robie / February 26, 2005 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Am I decided?

Good selection IMO.

Is this the HP A810n at Circuit City for $630 after rebates without a monitor/printer:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=114638&WT.mc_n=57&WT.mc_t=U

Click on the packgage deal and for $650 at Circuit City you get the same thing but with a monitor and printer:

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/114638/bundleId/1077/rpem/ccd/bundleDetail.do

Keep in mind that a Flat-Screen CRT monitor is not a 3-4 inch thick Flat-Screen(Panel) LCD monitor (like the photo's show).

One additional good thing about the HP A810n is that it has an AGP slot so that you can later upgrade the Integrated graphics to something better for video editing and better gaming.

JR

Collapse -
Loot at Costco
by Merl Priester / February 26, 2005 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Re: HP A810n

Compaq (owned by HP)

Athlon 64 3300+
512 Megs ram
250 Gig drive
56k modem 10/100 network
DVD Burner
USB 2.0 - Firewire - memory card reader
17" LCD
Video
Keybaord and Oprical Mouse
NO FLOPPY DRIVE

899.00 with the LCD
Sell the LCD to someone else for 250.00
and this system is yours for 650.00

Collapse -
Thank you
by thelms / February 26, 2005 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re: HP A810n

Found it at circuit city and I got the system with printer and LCD for $730. Yes, with rebates, but they will be sent in the mail by monday.

Good thing is I have a 30 day period they will price match if I find it cheaper.

Thanks for the assistance, I think I have the best system for the money.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Congratulations, and thanks for the feedback.
by John Robie / February 27, 2005 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.