Computer Help forum

General discussion

Please help me decide!!

I've finally made the decision to buy a new computer after over 6 years!! I narrowed down my search to a 2GHZ Processor Dual 2 Core, 1GB of RAM, 100-120 GB of Hard Drive.

I decided to get a laptop which will replace our desktop at home. I have two daughters ages 12 & 15 that will be using it mainly for photo & video editing. They probably won't be into gaming too much, but will definitely still want the ability. I also want to use it as a home office computer as well to access my company's system.

My two main concerns are, should I wait till the VISTA O/S comes out, seeing that it's only a few more weeks. Or will I get a good deal on a computer with the Windows XP Pro O/S?

The other concern is, should I go PC or MAC. Most people would probably say it's a personal preference. I'm really on the fence, I know a PC will probably be half the price of a MAC, and then I'm also concerned about software & hardware issues on a MAC. Would I be limited in options if I go with a MAC? My family purchased a digital camera SRL, Digital camcorder, but we don't have a decent computer to use!! Talk about putting the cart before the horse!!

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks so much,
Pinky

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me decide!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me decide!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Personally

In reply to: Please help me decide!!

I would think twice about the laptop idea if teenagers are going to be using it. Especially teenage girls. You also paint yourself into a corner gaming wise with a laptop. Most laptops are not meant for gaming. The displays have higher response rates, which causes ghosting, the video cards are usually integrated chipsets, and when they're not, they're stripped down versions of last generation desktop cards. And Mac or PC, you're going to have very limited upgrade options hardware wise.

If you go the PC route, I wouldn't bother waiting for Vista. If you get a system now, you'll almost certainly get a free upgrade coupon for Vista.

If you go the Mac route, you really only get OS X, which has offered most of the features Vista was supposed to have, for going on a year now.

When it comes to the use of hardware like digital cameras or camcorders, OS X will probably work far better. Virtually all digital cameras and camcorders Just Work(th) with OS X. You plug them in, it launches iPhoto or iMovie, and starts importing the data. No need to futz around with driver installations and all that other Windows garbage.

Macs will also come with fairly competent photo and movie editing software as part of the iLife suite. They are aimed at the hobbyist sort of user more than the professional.

The PC route is like being nickel and dimed to death. You buy a camera, which comes with a stripped down version of some software package that removes all the useful features. So you have to buy something to get those features. These little expenses keep piling up, until you've paid out a small fortune... Only to find that one software package causes problems with another, and so then you get to spend many fun hours listening to the Musak version of Muskrat Love over the phone waiting for some ill trained person in India with an accent so thick you can make out every third word if you're lucky. With a Mac, things tend to Just Work(tm). The catch is, if they don't work right away, it can be near impossible to get them to work. However, this rarely happens. My mother just got a brand new digital camera for Christmas, and I plugged it into her PowerPC based Mac Mini running an older version of iPhoto, and it had no problem downloading the images.

To sum all this up... I would strongly rethink the laptop idea, but if you do go the laptop route (or desktop), I'd go with a Mac. Apple has the best quality laptops out there, and if your primary uses of the computer involve office work and photo/video editing, a Mac is the way to go. The newer ones can even dual boot with Windows XP (probably Vista too eventually), so you don't lose anything. You pay more, but you're paying for quality parts, which are all tightly integrated with the operating system in a way that just isn't possible on the PC.

Collapse -
Thanks so much!!

In reply to: Personally

Thank you so much for the good advice. I was thinking long & hard about getting a laptop, especially in the hands of my daughters. But, I just love the fact of mobility.

I'm definitely leaning towards the MAC so I think your advice is right on the money, regarding quality.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.