Cameras forum

General discussion

Please help me decide...

This is my 1st time to buy digital cameras and I need help on choosing the right camera. Im choosing between Olympus FE-190 and Sony Cyber Shot DSC-W30. Which is better? Are there other cameras much better than these 2? I prefer cameras with 6 megapixel and are using lith-ion for the battery, maybe $160-190 is the practical camera for me. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me decide...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me decide...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Cameras

In reply to: Please help me decide...

Collapse -
Digital Cameras

In reply to: Digital Cameras

Thanks snapshot2. Actually, Sony DSC-W30 was my 1st choice but when I found out that W30 has few shooting modes, I was opt to find another cam that has more shooting modes than W30. Is the image quality of FE-190 really that bad?

Collapse -
Olympus FE-190

In reply to: Digital Cameras

I don't know how good/bad the images are, because I could not find any sample photos.
There is not enough information available to make a knowledgeable decision.

Collapse -
Olympus SP-310

In reply to: Olympus FE-190

Ah ok. Do you happen to know any info with regards to Olympus SP-310? Ive check the users opinion regarding this camera and they all look satisfied. I might choose this one instead of FE-190, I know that the optical zoom is the only drawback of the SP-310 camera but there is an accessory to compromise to that one correct?

Collapse -
Olympus SP-310

In reply to: Olympus SP-310

The SP-310 was introduced in Aug of 2005.
The SP-320 was introduced in Jan of 2006.
They appear to be identical, but the images from the SP-320 are a tad sharper. If you can get the SP-320 for the same price as the SP-310, take the SP-320.

Either camera is a good choice....they also have the important manual controls.

Olympus offers two conversion lenses for both cameras.
TCON-17F (1.7X) teleconverter
WCON-07F (0.7X) wide-angle converter
You will need the CLA-9 adapter to attach the lenses to the camera.

Here is a link:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_acc_all_products.asp?val2=2&val1=1&step1=16&wwwproduct=1187&submit2=Go&acccategory=5

Note: Olympus makes the best conversion lenses you can buy.
They are considered the gold standard of conversion lenses.

Collapse -
Digital cameras

In reply to: Please help me decide...

I'd lean toward Olympus cameras, myself. Have you considered the Olympus SP-350? It's a bit more expensive, but has 8 megapixels and seems like a good value. You also might consider taking TheDigitalBeat.com's test which asks you a few questions then suggests a camera that matches your needs. It can be found at http://www.thedigitalbeat.com/cameras.html . Good luck!

Collapse -
Digicam

In reply to: Digital cameras

Thanks dotstream. I've already looked on SP-350 and I was overwhelmed 'bout the price, although it was good because of the 8MP, external flash ready and the shooting modes. I'll check the website that you just gave and I hope they'll give me the answers I need before buying that camera. Thanks a lot!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.