PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Please help me build a gaming PC

by danman212 / January 24, 2009 4:14 AM PST

So I have a $1000 budget at the momeent, and I've heard that building a PC is way cheaper. I'm afraid of not getting the most out of my buck, so can someone with experience please help me out? I hear that newegg.com is the best site. So many parts and names and stuff. I'm mostly afraid of bottlenecking the graphics card. I know there's a search function for questions, but with the constant change of price of PC parts, I don't think any of them are relevant anymore. If it's really worth it, I can go maybe $100ish over the budget.

Thanks in advance ^__^

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me build a gaming PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me build a gaming PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not start by looking at what people have already
by VAPCMD / January 24, 2009 4:59 AM PST

posted here on CNET as 'gaming PCs' ?

When you've checked them out and spotted some you like...then put them into one list with links and repost here for comment.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Basic Questions
by Ronsin / January 24, 2009 11:16 AM PST

The first thing you need to decide is what CPU you're going to run.
This then narrows down your possible choices of motherboards and sets a general performance range for the whole system.

Really the only two companies that make CPUs are AMD and Intel. Currently, Intel makes the fastest processors, but in the past AMD was better and Intel used to be known to overheat. At this point in time it's really up to personal preference, so pick a brand.

After that, you need to think about how many CPU cores you want. I've heard that very few modern games make use of more than two cores, but that could change, so pick a number, although I'd stay away from a single-core processor for serious gaming.

Next you want to think about speed. Over about 2.5ghz is pretty much mandatory at this point, and generally you want to go as fast as you can afford. I'd recommend looking for 3ghz and up unless you're going to overclock a slower chip.

That should be enough to get you started. You can figure out all the rest of the parts when you have your CPU pretty nailed down.

Collapse -
GPU first
by repete_smile / January 25, 2009 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: Basic Questions

the GPU is the most important part of a gaming system
the ATi Radeon HD 4850X2 or 4870X2 or nVidia GTX280, 285 or 295

Collapse -
budget and midrange gamer
by ramarc / January 26, 2009 5:58 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.