Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Please Help Me!!!!!

by candigrl73 / October 24, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

I have an HP Pavilion 5300 series laptop. Two days ago, i noticed when i powered up my laptop, the blue windows screen comes on just before you make your choice which user you use and it "freezes" up; nothing, just dead! i've tried to press Ctrl,Alt and Del and nothing! I've had to do a hard reset by using a pin and press the reset button on the back of the pc. While the pc is on; the hard drive seems to be working; meaning, it's thinking to me. so, i don't think it's the hard drive. however, i'm not sure if it's the memory--maybe i need to up my memory(using 512mb ddr...can anyone help me??

I can upgrade hard drive and memory myself, just want to make sure it's one or the other.

Thanks for reading!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please Help Me!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please Help Me!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Freeze
by Stan Chambers / October 24, 2005 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Please Help Me!!!!!

Assuming that you're running Windows XP, you should have plenty of memory.
Your post is void of any real clues as to what may have caused the problem.
Have you installed any new software or hardware recently that may have caused the change?
If so give the details as to what and how it was installed.

Collapse -
Freeze--not responding!
by candigrl73 / October 24, 2005 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Freeze

yes,I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

i purchased a media card reader and had to install the software(last thursday) was fine on Friday; but, Saturday the laptop just stopped responding altogether.

Do you think it could be the hard drive??

Collapse -
Freeze--not responding!
by Stan Chambers / October 25, 2005 1:34 AM PDT

The first step is to uninstall the software for the card reader to see if it is causing the problem. If that corrects the problem, try reinstalling the software, etc.
until it works properly.
What card reader did you install?
Certain readers are proprietary to specific motherboards or chipsets.
It's not a common issue, but one that I've encountered in the past. If you have such a reader, it probably won't work with your computer.

Collapse -
need more info
by danthevan / October 24, 2005 7:15 AM PDT

what operating system and service pack
is there any error message on the blue screen?

Collapse -
Not Responding
by candigrl73 / October 24, 2005 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: need more info

Thanks for your response!

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack. I never updated to download/install Service Pk 2. At the time, i figured, it wasn't broken so just leave it alone.

No, there are no errors messages on the blue screen...it just shows "Microsoft Windows Home Edition" then it would go to another screen to show the user accounts names...and it just freezes before it displays the user names.

Collapse -
You can try....
by Papa Echo / October 24, 2005 8:09 AM PDT

Go into Safe Mode and
? scan for viruses and parasites.
? run chkdsk.
? system resotre if the aove do not work.

For want of more information on specifications, etc., these are initial suggestions.

Collapse -
Not Responding
by candigrl73 / October 24, 2005 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: You can try....

Thanks for your message!

I will try...this might be a stupid question??

How do I get to "Safe Mode"?? Once i power up the laptop, i can't do anything until i get to the desktop--that's the problem, i can't get pass the intial microsoft windows screen; not unless there is another way??? If so, please let me know. I just want to get this fixed.

Again, thanks!

Collapse -
instructions to get to safe mode
by danthevan / October 25, 2005 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Responding

as soon as you boot up your pc/laptop keep pressing F8 until another menu appears :this is before xp boots you will see something like this::

safe mode
safe mode with neworking
safe mode with command prompt
last known good configuration

goto safe mode using the arrow keys press enter if your pc boots in safe mode click start run write CHKDSK
THEN OK OR ENTER
if this doesnt help then reboot press F8 again and try last known good configuration

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.