HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

Question

Please Help! Mac OSX - Files Disappeared Mac & Hardrive

by Rossmanbird / December 3, 2013 10:25 AM PST

Hi guys,

I am using a Mac OSX 10.8.4 2.7Ghz

Today I had all my wav. samples (for music production) disappear from my 'samples' folder in directory Users/Me/Documents/Samples.

All the folders & subfolders are in there, but there are no wav. files. The wav. files aren't in another location on the computer.I have used Terminal to search for the files in case they are hidden but haven't had any luck and the folder sizes are less than 1mb so it seems like nothing is hidden.

I had a backup of one of these folders on an external hardrive so I transferred the folder from the harddrive to my mac and tried opening the backup folder and the exact same thing happened...no Wav.s

The strangest thing is I opened the same folder which was on the harddrive on my brothers computer and the folders now have no contents (whereas they did 5 mins ago on my bros computer).

Now it's deleted all my brothers music off his external harddrive!!

Did I screw something up in Terminal or do I have a virus/malware??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please Help! Mac OSX - Files Disappeared Mac & Hardrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please Help! Mac OSX - Files Disappeared Mac & Hardrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given that you are in "Music Production"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 8:53 PM PST

Why not just Restore from your latest backup and get back to business?

How about Time Machine?

Surely you did not go about your music production without having at least one backup of your important files?
As is said many times in these forums, we only lose what we don't back up"

Yes, you could have messed something up with Terminal and No, it is doubtful that you have some piece of malware that does this and No, you do not have a Virus.

Try this:
Shut down the Mac. (presuming it is an iMac, you didn't say)
Disconnect all peripherals except the keyboard and mouse
Reboot and immediately hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys. Keep them down until you hear the third chime, then let go
Open Disk Utility. Run Repair Disk Permissions.

Any better?

P

Collapse -
Answer
Let's say "worst case" situation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 11:01 PM PST

Stop using the computer with that drive or drives and head to www.drivesavers.com. They have recovered other music artist works before.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.