Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Please help. Lots of problems.

by Kris12345 / November 25, 2003 3:39 AM PST

Right, it started about 3 weeks ago. I had norton IS and Norton SW. Then the live update stopped working and scans didnt work etc and it said the was an internal error. I had to uninsall them, but that isn;t really the problem. Lots of things now do not work on the computer but im not sure if it is connected or not.
1) When trying to open help it comes up with the error message 'HelpCtr caused an error in OLE32.DLL'
2) Clicking on Search For Files Or Folders does nothing
3) Edit, Find (in this page) in internet explorer does not open
4) Javascript links and some other links do not open at all.
5) Btinternet inbox displays forbidden errors when tring to open messages.

The main thing I am concerned about is quite a lot of links not opening and i dont really think it is to do with my isp (although it could be) Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help. Lots of problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help. Lots of problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For NIS problems, take it to the source.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2003 4:24 AM PST

But as of today, it's become clear that something has mis-fired at Symantec. For NIS issues, take it to them and let them deal with it.

If my frankness is bothersome, so be it. I'd rather use my machine than to continue with that issue.

---------------------------------

What I would do.

1. Complete the five scans from the collection I note at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

2. Consider ejecting NIS since its failed. Use Symantec's RNAV.EXE and make your choice to stick it out with them or just look in the Security Forum for free alternatives.

a. The Free AVG from http://www.grisoft.com
b. The newly free eTrust http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Please help. Lots of problems.
by Styx / November 30, 2003 2:48 PM PST

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occurring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

Collapse -
Re:Please help. Lots of problems.
by chippy3355 / February 28, 2004 5:40 PM PST

hi this problem can be resolved.uninstall the norton.antivirus. go to www.avg.com.this is a free program.free ware.any problems i have the program in full.easy to use and set up .i had a norton.cauesed nothing but problems.om windows ME.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.