But as of today, it's become clear that something has mis-fired at Symantec. For NIS issues, take it to them and let them deal with it.
If my frankness is bothersome, so be it. I'd rather use my machine than to continue with that issue.
What I would do.
1. Complete the five scans from the collection I note at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0
2. Consider ejecting NIS since its failed. Use Symantec's RNAV.EXE and make your choice to stick it out with them or just look in the Security Forum for free alternatives.
a. The Free AVG from http://www.grisoft.com
b. The newly free eTrust http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm
Right, it started about 3 weeks ago. I had norton IS and Norton SW. Then the live update stopped working and scans didnt work etc and it said the was an internal error. I had to uninsall them, but that isn;t really the problem. Lots of things now do not work on the computer but im not sure if it is connected or not.
1) When trying to open help it comes up with the error message 'HelpCtr caused an error in OLE32.DLL'
2) Clicking on Search For Files Or Folders does nothing
3) Edit, Find (in this page) in internet explorer does not open
5) Btinternet inbox displays forbidden errors when tring to open messages.
The main thing I am concerned about is quite a lot of links not opening and i dont really think it is to do with my isp (although it could be) Any help would be gratefully accepted.