Computer Help forum

Alert

Please help! Laptop turns off automatically

by jay203080 / January 1, 2015 9:23 AM PST

I have a dell studio 1458. I use windows 7 64.

The laptop was running slow lately and overheating even with simple tasks.

I thought I should clean the fan, so I disassembled the laptop. I was as careful as possible. I did it all in a very organized way to avoid getting lost with the screws or matching the cables on the right spot.

After all the process, I cleaned the fan. It was really dirty...
( I don't know if this is important, but there was some type of gum between the processor and a piece of metal connected to the fan. That gum was very thin over the processor, so I slightly reshaped it to give more 'cushion' between them)
... After cleaning the fan, I asambled everything and turned on the laptop. It worked great for some minutes. The fan was very loud, but I assumed that it was because now it's working properly.

However, after 10 minutes, the laptop stopped working. If I try to turn it again, it automatically turns off in a couple of minutes.

Please help me. What could be the problem? I can't afford a technician Sad So I want to solve it with my own hands.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help! Laptop turns off automatically
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help! Laptop turns off automatically
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd replace the gum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 9:27 AM PST

That stuff is called heatsink compound which has many YouTube videos about replacing it.

And get a new fan as it sounds like it failed.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jay203080 / January 1, 2015 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: I'd replace the gum.

The fan was working when I turned on the computer. I realized two more things:
1. I didn't connect properly the mouse pad to the mother board.
2. I may have swapped the (RAM) memory cards. But both are exactly the same brand and size.

Would any of these two issues cause a threat high enough for the computer to shut down?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 2:11 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Heatsink compound is not gummy. It's about 2 to 6 bucks of compound so you've described old dry compound which is a great reason for the failure. Replace it and hope for the best.
Bob

Collapse -
Should I replace the fan and heatsink?
by jay203080 / January 1, 2015 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: No.

I read that the thermal paste should be all around the surface of the processor. So by reshaping it, I might have left some area without thermal paste?

Also, I noticed that the heatsink turned black near the fan. It looks like it burned. But that happened before I opened the laptop. So it's not because I moved the thermal paste. Should I replace the fan and heatsink?

Collapse -
No. And no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 12:06 AM PST

Thermal paste does not have the consistency of "gum." If you find gum instead of heatsink compound, then you replace it. It's cheap.

I'd wait to see if the heatsink compound replacement helps.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jay203080 / January 2, 2015 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: No. And no.

Thank you very much. This is really helpful. I'll replace the heatsink compound and see how it goes.

Collapse -
While not your CPU in this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
Directions with the thermal paste.
by jay203080 / January 13, 2015 11:21 AM PST

I finally got the thermal paste. The heatsink is touching the cpu and one more part. Is it the gpu? This second part is also covered by a grey material. Is this material thermal paste too? It looks slightly different than the one on the cpu.

Collapse -
For this round we
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2015 12:18 AM PST

Either use our past experience or more web pages. I can't see what you see so I can't tell if this model used a "thermal pad" but even if it did I found that over the years I can remove those and use compound if the heatsink mechanical clearances and contact are good.

Be aware that if the machine has failed, well, this won't fix it but given the cost of compound versus boards, the choice is easy. Try it anyway.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!