Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Please Help ITunes 5.0 - Windows XP - Can't Burn CD's

Hi, I have an Insignia D400A with a Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz processor, 512 MB Ram, and a Sony DVD RW DW-22A burner running Windows XP Home. I installed ITunes 5.0 and I can't burn cd's or dvd's anymore with either ITunes, WMP10, or the Power To Go program that came pre-installed when I bought the computer. I know that my burner still works because I have another program strictly for burning dvd movies and I have already used it to make sure that my burner works. I have tried several System Restore points, and the System Recovery DVD that came with the computer and none of those fixed the problem. The only thing I haven't tried is a complete system reload only because that will kill all my installed programs and I would have to re-install all my programs again. I have already tried removing the burner from my Hardware profile and rebooting to let Windows XP re-install the burner and that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, I Appreciate It.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please Help ITunes 5.0 - Windows XP - Can't Burn CD's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please Help ITunes 5.0 - Windows XP - Can't Burn CD's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is something to do with the user profile

In reply to: Please Help ITunes 5.0 - Windows XP - Can't Burn CD's

I just logged into my computer as another user, and I was able to burn a data dvd. Both my normal user profile and the other profile are both administrator profiles by the way.

So does anybody know how to fix my profile so I can burn a dvd and a cd again?

Collapse -
Just sharing.

In reply to: It is something to do with the user profile

The usual fix is to create a new profile and then move to your new profile.

Profile 'repair' seems to not be detailed by Microsoft.

Bob

Collapse -
Moving Files To New Profile

In reply to: Just sharing.

Thanks for your reply, can you tell me how would I get all my favorites? Just copy them to the new profile favorites folder?

Thanks

Collapse -
Never mind previous post "Moving Files To New Profile"

In reply to: Moving Files To New Profile

I searched the microsoft knowledge base and found an article on how to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile.

Collapse -
Re:

iTunes 5.0 is messed up. Apple is trying to get a patch out early next week.

Collapse -
Re Itunes

In reply to: Re:

Thanks for the 411.

Collapse -
New Itunes 5.01

In reply to: Re:

Hi, Do you know if it is any better than 5.0? I am afraid to install it considering what happened with the 5.0

Collapse -
Another issue is...

In reply to: New Itunes 5.01

New bugs for old. I can see why people hesitate but I've learned that if one version is failing it's time to uninstall it and move to the latest.

If you've been following the other pleas for help with iTunes you will also uninstall Quicktime and update that.

Bob

Collapse -
Another Issue...

In reply to: Another issue is...

Hi, thanks for the reply. Maybe I should just stay with the working 5.0 - it was unbelieveable all the stuff I went through to get Itunes and Quicktime to work on my machine again. When I finally could get the original cd provided Itunes and Quicktime to install and work, I had to install 5.0 again (cause the previous version wouldn't see my music database) then I had to create a new Windows XP user profile to fix the burning problem.
Maybe it is best to stay with the current version until say Itunes 6.0 ?? LOL

Thanks

Collapse -
Always good advice.

In reply to: Another Issue...

"Don't fix it unless broken."

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Smile...LOL....Very True and Sage Advice

In reply to: Always good advice.

Collapse -
Wait a sec.

You just wrote it worked. Now it doesn't?

-> What I would do is uninstall quicktime and itunes and install the latest. I would use the latest versions.

I don't have issues with doing this on my machine since I have backup.

Bob

Collapse -
yes it works b ut to get it to work was havoc

In reply to: Wait a sec.

when I first installed itunes 5.0, I realized a week later that I couldn't burn cd's or dvd's, and yes Itunes was the only new thing I had recently put on my computer. I tried system restore and that took me back to the previous version of Itunes, but it wouldn't work and I still couldn't burn. I undid the systed restore, and it went back to 5.0 but it wouldn't work and I still couldn't burn discs. Then I uninstalled itunes and the uninstall would error out that files were missing to complete the uninstall and the same thing happened with quicktime. I tried to re-install different versions of Itunes and none of them would work because the programs were already installed it would say. I tried several restore points and nothing would fix the problems. I even tried to reinstall the windows xp to fix the burner with the dvd that came with the computer when I bought it. Then I figured what the heck, and deleted the Itunes and Quicktime folders in my programs directory and finally I was then able to install the itunes and quicktime that came with my ipod. Horray I am getting somewhere now! I had to go back to Itunes 5.0 because cd provided Itunes wouldn't recognize the 5.0 database. About the same time, I realized that another user profile on my computer could burn discs. So I am back to Itunes 5.0 now; I created a new user profile for me to use and all works.

Phew ! I know this is a long posting, but it was all that I went through because of Itunes 5.0 being a bad program. When the battery dies in my Ipod - I seriously doubt that I will pay the $99.00 to get the battery replaced. I will more than likely go out and buy a windows based mp3 player.

Collapse -
No one I know pays 99 bicks.

In reply to: yes it works b ut to get it to work was havoc

They get the do it yourself kit for 1/2 that. Frankly I've only seen 2 die so it must be a bit of hype.

Bob

Collapse -
Ipod Batteries

In reply to: No one I know pays 99 bicks.

My boss' daughter's died last month and it was still under warranty - I hope if mine dies it will be under warranty - I didn't know that there was a do it yourself battery thing for it...where would I see that online? I checked apple and all I saw was the $99.00 battery program thing.

Collapse -
A google.

In reply to: Ipod Batteries

Collapse -
Ipod Battery Replacement

In reply to: A google.

Thanks - saved the link for future reference if it ever comes up...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.