Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

General discussion

please help ipaq 111 or asus a626 which one better

by stk119 / September 29, 2009 6:33 AM PDT

Hi, Im looking for help in decideing which pda to purchase the ipaq 111 or the asus a626. Id like to use the pda for doing some work(word, excel, scheduling) and id like to use the wifi(which one gets better wifi signal). The asus is selling cheaper on sites but im just wondering if anyone has a opinion on which one is better and why? I preveously had a palm z22 and i liked it but am looking for wifi and the word and possibly excel now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: please help ipaq 111 or asus a626 which one better
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: please help ipaq 111 or asus a626 which one better
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly I found them horrid for work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

Which is why I picked up a netbook for small on the go work.

Yes, I own many Palm PDAs. Why? I'm an author of some Palm applications.

Yes, I own a few Windows mobile devices. Why? I'm also an author of some Windows Mobile applications.

No, I don't consider the PDAs to be usable for "work(word, excel, scheduling)". I do think these are grand devices for a price and place but the netbook could cost the same and really fit the use.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks bob but
by stk119 / September 30, 2009 5:58 AM PDT

Part of the reason i liked my palm was that in my job id be moving around alot while taking behavior data and something small enough to slide in my pocket would work better than a laptop type device. I thought about the TX but i saw alot of bad reviews about problems with the on off switch and other issues

Collapse -
If I count the one my brother has.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks bob but

We have 3 TX's between us. I can only guess that some have button problems but if you've been around the Palm units you know you can power up with the other 4 hard buttons. If you are really into the Palm you could assign one to power down the Palm. Talk about getting around the buttons!

Ok, I liked the TX but for wifi and web access it pales to even the old iPaq rx3115 that's in the collection. I lucked into an iPaq 211 refurb from geeks.com but those are now gone but while bulky it is a nice unit.

Take another look at the 111. Also search over the internet for any unlocked Windows Mobile cell phones. These do activesync and you know what that is. You don't need a contract to use the pda features. I know because none of mine have the cell phone activated. (I have to test on each unit.)
Bob

Collapse -
ill take a look thanks for the info
by stk119 / September 30, 2009 6:14 AM PDT

hey one quick question. If an ipaq 111 on ebay doesnt come with a disk just a charger do you need a setup disk like i had for palm desktop or can you dowload that sofware from HP site. Thanks again

Collapse -
I have the ipaq 211 so I'll share what I used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

I download Activesync from microsoft. Yes there are some that will jump in and correct me that on Vista it is called "Windows Mobile Device Center" but let's get past that.

I didn't have to download, install or get near the HP site. I have Office 2003 on the machines and its all good.

In parting let me share I really like www.mymobiler.com and its free app. It has made my documentation really shine with great screen shots. Worth knowing about.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!