Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PLEASE HELP! Impt. Files + Documents accidentally deleted.

by Ramsey22 / August 16, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

So today I was cleaning out my computer, deleting and moving around old and useless files and documents, etc. I have one folder that contained a plethora of important documents for work (mostly WordPad .rtf documents that I spent countless hours composing). I have another folder, under the same name, in a different part of my computer, with old, useless stuff in it. When I attempted to delete this file, I accidentally right-clicked on the important file, and hit 'delete.'

Now, a huge amount of hugely important WordPad documents are gone. I checked my Recycle Bin, and nothing was there (on my computer, deleted files oddly usually dont go to the Recycle Bin). I then looked to see if I had stored backups of anything, and I had backup copies of a grand total of 3 of my documents (leaving easily 100 still gone). I then did the only thing I could think of that could possibly restore my lost files: I did a System Restore (I restored my computer to a checkpoint made at about 8 PM yesterday). They were still not there.

PLEASE help me out. Is there any way that I can get these WordPad docs back? These are important, and I spent literally countless hours of work researching and writing these (all of them I need to use in the future). Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

I am running Windows XP Professional.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLEASE HELP! Impt. Files + Documents accidentally deleted.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLEASE HELP! Impt. Files + Documents accidentally deleted.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

With every minute of use, the files might be written on top of.

If you are serious about recovery, here's what I suggest.

Go look at www.unerase.com and get that software. Install it on another PC then add your hard drive as a slave or on another IDE connection all by itself.

Now unerase it.

If this is not acceptable for the dollars this software costs, then we just found out how much the files are worth.

Bob

Collapse -
restoring deleted files
by jconner / August 16, 2006 4:19 AM PDT

Put that in Google. As an absolute last resort there are lots of data recovery companies that can recover lost and important files from your hard drive.

http://www.aumha.org/a/recover.php

Is a good discussion.

Collapse -
This is free, it may work for you.
by retired / August 16, 2006 4:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Undo Delete
by Decorte16 / August 16, 2006 4:37 AM PDT

You can use this program to retrieve some of your important files.I have used it a few times and have been very successful in retreiving my deleted files!!
Free 30 day trial:
http://www.undodelete.com/download.asp
Decorte

Collapse -
I have 8 & 6 floppies-the latter are wordpad on it.
by DarCLew2 / August 16, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Undo Delete

Plus I have printouts of all 14 of them. I usually combine them to get the maximum usage like: 1 add 2
floppy 1
-------------------------------------------------------
floppy 2
-------------------------------------------------------
floppy 3
-------------------------------------------------------etc. So I can make copies if need be. I have five I have never used of 20 plus 20 others I had formatted that are still good from 12 months ago. Also have 2 100 MB zip drives that are blank with a lot of little folders in 3 others. It is quite handy, computer crashes and nothing is lost. Two have favorites and favorites.exe. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.