TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Please help! I'm so desperate!

by esprague9 / January 19, 2007 11:19 AM PST

Why is the digital surround sound on my ps2 working so much better than the surround on my new toshiba upconvert dvd player. I just returned a new phillips upconvert dvd player becuase I thought it was the dvd player, but still no dice. I'm using a monster coaxial cable from a yamaha surround sound system (I also checked an optical cable as well), and the surround sound is pretty poor). On the same exact volume the surround sound from my PS2 is great. It's almost like the surround from the dvd player isn't even digital or is at least poor digital quality. Does anyone have any idea why this would be. The only thing I can think of is that the PS2 just has super surround sound. I don't know what the answer is to this problem, but i've spent the better part of wa week trying to figure out why this is happening. Last week, I bought a new yamaha surround sound system and an upconvert dvd player with an hdmi cable, so needless to say i'm pretty bummed that my PS2 is the only thing I can find to give me great surround sound. If anyone could provide me with any advice and or help, I'd really appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help! I'm so desperate!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help! I'm so desperate!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't supply a missing clue...
by Dan Filice / January 19, 2007 12:04 PM PST

How do you have your PS2 connected to the Yamaha? I have mine connected to the front input of my Yamaha via an optical cable, and this is how my DVD player is connected (except I use the optical input on the back). Just curious since you mention that the surround on the PS2 sounds so good, I was just wondering how you had it connected. Another thought: In the setup menu on your DVD player, there typically is an option for audio output. Make sure you have the correct option chosen (Digital or PCM is typical). Your DVD player might have a default output setting setup for analog output, which would sound pretty lousy if pushed through a digital connection.

Collapse -
The reason I ask about the PS2..
by Dan Filice / January 20, 2007 2:33 AM PST

To make a fair comparison between how your PS2 and DVD player's audio sounds, you need to connect them in a similar fashion. If your PS2 is not connected using a digital optical cable but your DVD player is (or the DVD player is connected via HDMI), then your PS2 is most likely using the Dolby Pro Logic processing of the Yamaha. This will focus your audio more on the two front and center speakers whereas using the optical cable (or HDMI) would allow the Yamaha to process in true 5.1 surround, which would spread out the sound a bit more than Pro Logic and maybe make the sound efx and music sound less loud or focused. Also, make sure you are using the same sound processing between your PS2 and DVD player. The Yamaha probably has at least a dozen sound effect processing modes (mine does), and most of them are useless (IMHO).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?