General discussion

Please help - HP TC1100 Tablet running Windows 7 - lost all

Hi, do hope someone can help!

When I tried to start up 'puter this morning, all icons except a few had turned into non working ones, system restore failed to initiate as well as explore & all the other .exe files. Started up in safe mode, couldn't restore. Panicked & went into advanced recovery thinking I had a back up or image (I have about 10 computers & I think this is the only one I didn't have the back up on)! Now, it tries to boot but then suggests 'system repair' but it won't fix anything & Windows won't start. It comes up with Windows 7 logo, but that's it! Now, I don't have a cd rom drive, only usb ports. Haven't got any boot disks as I only bought it recently upgraded to Windows 7 from ebay. Was working perfectly for 4 months & now I've stuffed it up. Can somebody please help me with any suggestions???

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Please help - HP TC1100 Tablet running Windows 7 - lost all
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please help - HP TC1100 Tablet running Windows 7 - lost all
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Time to order the restore media.

Your story has been told before so here's the answers (and they are repeated so you can get it working again as fast as possible.)

1. Order the restore media.
2. Order or borrow the required USB DVDRW drive.

Again, this has been covered numerous times. And you write you have 10 computers so why isn't some USB to DVDRW cable an option here? It's cheap too. Example at:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020-OTB&cpc=SCH

Even the entire drive and such is not bad. Example at:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-GP08NU20-PB

Bob

- Collapse -
Many thanks!

Thanks so much Bob, I will have to work something out, won't I, lol! I haven't used a forum before so please forgive my ignorance.

I love this little tablet & only just received a new digitizer pen from Korea today. I knew that would happen, just my luck.

I rang up a local computer tech shop, and they said it would probably take a few hours & a few days to fix - and then, $$$$$$ It certainly isn't worth paying for it to be fixed, so your alternative sounds really great.

Just another quick question, could I download some data recovery software onto a USB stick & plonk that in the port & boot it up? http://recovery-review.com/undelete-software/diskinternals-uneraser-2-9.html

Thanks once again all the way from Tasmania, Australia. I don't know why it says I'm anonymous, but I signed in through Facebook, so perhaps that's the reason why & yes, I'm blond & female, can't you tell, lol?

Cheers, Cathryn

- Collapse -
I have to write no.

The recovery media is specific to that laptop. While one could look at a bootable USB with a Linux on it (easy to find with google) that does not repair this OS for us.

This is why we want to have the right tools for such machines.

If you follow those that get those NETBOOKS you read their tales and this is the same problem. The fix is well known but many are trying to avoid getting the disks and tools. All you can do is nod and wait for them to think it over.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info