Question

Please Help - Dead Toshiba Satellite A505-S69803

Hello,

I have a Satellite A505-S69803 with Windows 7 Home Premium OA that I bought at Best Buy in January of 2010. Until yesterday, I had not had one problem with it.

Went to turn it on last night and had no luck - it seems dead. I thought it might be a power cord or battery issue, so I removed the battery & tried it just on AC power - no luck. Tried it with just the battery - no luck. No lights, no sounds - nothing.

Took it to best buy today. Their "geek" said he thought the power supply was bad. We bought a new one; he tried that, same thing - dead. We returned the new power supply.

I've used this laptop every day for 17 months and have not had a single issue, so this is perplexing. Don't know if this will help, but here's how I used the computer leading up to the issue last night:

1. Used it outside, on battery power, for a few hours in the morning.
2. Took it inside, plugged it in, and used it for a few hours in the afternoon.
3. Closed the screen (puts it in Standby mode), unplugged it, took it upstairs.
4. Plugged it in, opened the screen.
5. Noticed Standby light was not on - no lights at all.
6. Pressed the power button to bring it out of Standby - nothing.

That's where I am now -- nothing.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions - I don't know where to go from here.

Thank you -

Dan

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Please Help - Dead Toshiba Satellite A505-S69803
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please Help - Dead Toshiba Satellite A505-S69803
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Try the simple reset?

No data loss!

Try the reset noted in the Laptop Troubleshooting forum. Here's the quick version.

Remove AC, power off (naturally!), remove battery, press and hold the power button for a full 60 seconds. Release, slip in the battery, apply AC, count to 10 and try again.

Good luck!
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

Thanks Bob,

I tried the reset procedure - unfortunately with the same result. Seems just dead.

It might make more sense if I'd had issues in the past, or did something different than usual this time, but it was the same process I've used for over a year so I don't know what to think. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Dan

- Collapse -
No lights.

If I were to guess it sounds like the usual laptop jack issue.

Do you own and use a Volt meter? At the top of this forum are sticky posts about seeing if the power gets past that jack. Sorry but I can't do much beyond that point.
Bob

CNET Forums