No data loss!
Try the reset noted in the Laptop Troubleshooting forum. Here's the quick version.
Remove AC, power off (naturally!), remove battery, press and hold the power button for a full 60 seconds. Release, slip in the battery, apply AC, count to 10 and try again.
I have a Satellite A505-S69803 with Windows 7 Home Premium OA that I bought at Best Buy in January of 2010. Until yesterday, I had not had one problem with it.
Went to turn it on last night and had no luck - it seems dead. I thought it might be a power cord or battery issue, so I removed the battery & tried it just on AC power - no luck. Tried it with just the battery - no luck. No lights, no sounds - nothing.
Took it to best buy today. Their "geek" said he thought the power supply was bad. We bought a new one; he tried that, same thing - dead. We returned the new power supply.
I've used this laptop every day for 17 months and have not had a single issue, so this is perplexing. Don't know if this will help, but here's how I used the computer leading up to the issue last night:
1. Used it outside, on battery power, for a few hours in the morning.
2. Took it inside, plugged it in, and used it for a few hours in the afternoon.
3. Closed the screen (puts it in Standby mode), unplugged it, took it upstairs.
4. Plugged it in, opened the screen.
5. Noticed Standby light was not on - no lights at all.
6. Pressed the power button to bring it out of Standby - nothing.
That's where I am now -- nothing.
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions - I don't know where to go from here.
Thank you -