No, it's not the monitor. Monitors just sit there very passively waiting till some PC sends them something to show. And that's all they do.
It's either a serious hardware error with your PC or a serious software error (could be a load of malware and viruses present for example). The best thing to do:
1. Make a backup of ALL data that you want to keep. Burn to CD or DVD, copy to another PC in your home network, copy to an external disk and from there to another PC, copy to some storage space on the Internet. Not important which you choose. Only important that you have all your data on 2 more safe places then your own PC.
2. Find your System Recovery Media (CD or DVD) that came with the system or that you made immediately when you started using it.
3. Use those to do a clean install back to factory conditions. If it was a software issue, this will go without any problems, and your PC will be as fast as it was when it was new.
4. Go to Windows update for all security patches (could take an evening, more if you are on dial-up).
5. Reinstall all your applications (start with antivirus).
6. Restore all your data from the backup you made in #1.
If, somehow, the same errors still occur in or after step 3, it wasn't a software but a hardware issue. Then it's time to visit either a repair shop (to fix it) or a PC shop (to buy a new one).
Best of luck.
I bought an HP monitor (HP 2310i) back in July. After installing it I have suffered constantly with my computer crashing, re-booting and shutting down. Initially I didn't put it down to my new monitor as I had had some issues with my computer crashing prior to its installation but now my computer is often taking up to 30 minutes to start up successfully and after sending error reports it mentions that the problem is due to hardware error but that it cannot determine exactly what the source is.
I have seen numerous patterns of PC shutting down, computer going into standby, monitor only going into standby with PC still running, blue screen messages, stop error messages but they never seem to happen in the same order each time.
Please could someone out there give me some help and advice as I am at the end of my tether.
My computer is running Windows XP by the way.
Here's hoping someone can help!