General discussion

Please help!!!!!!!!! Could it be my new Monitor????

I bought an HP monitor (HP 2310i) back in July. After installing it I have suffered constantly with my computer crashing, re-booting and shutting down. Initially I didn't put it down to my new monitor as I had had some issues with my computer crashing prior to its installation but now my computer is often taking up to 30 minutes to start up successfully and after sending error reports it mentions that the problem is due to hardware error but that it cannot determine exactly what the source is.

I have seen numerous patterns of PC shutting down, computer going into standby, monitor only going into standby with PC still running, blue screen messages, stop error messages but they never seem to happen in the same order each time.

Please could someone out there give me some help and advice as I am at the end of my tether.

My computer is running Windows XP by the way.

Here's hoping someone can help!

Carolyn.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Please help!!!!!!!!! Could it be my new Monitor????
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please help!!!!!!!!! Could it be my new Monitor????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: monitor

No, it's not the monitor. Monitors just sit there very passively waiting till some PC sends them something to show. And that's all they do.

It's either a serious hardware error with your PC or a serious software error (could be a load of malware and viruses present for example). The best thing to do:
1. Make a backup of ALL data that you want to keep. Burn to CD or DVD, copy to another PC in your home network, copy to an external disk and from there to another PC, copy to some storage space on the Internet. Not important which you choose. Only important that you have all your data on 2 more safe places then your own PC.
2. Find your System Recovery Media (CD or DVD) that came with the system or that you made immediately when you started using it.
3. Use those to do a clean install back to factory conditions. If it was a software issue, this will go without any problems, and your PC will be as fast as it was when it was new.
4. Go to Windows update for all security patches (could take an evening, more if you are on dial-up).
5. Reinstall all your applications (start with antivirus).
6. Restore all your data from the backup you made in #1.

If, somehow, the same errors still occur in or after step 3, it wasn't a software but a hardware issue. Then it's time to visit either a repair shop (to fix it) or a PC shop (to buy a new one).

Best of luck.

Kees

- Collapse -
As Kees said, it is NOT the monitor

You might be able to track down the actual causes if you take a look at the application and system logs in the Event Viewer.

If you are not familiar with the Event Viewer, you can start it up by clicking the Start button then Run then type in eventvwr and click OK.

You then select the log in the right hand window and look through the list of events in the left window for red or yellow icons that will indicate a problem. By double clicking the event you can obtain the Source and the Event ID as well as a description that may or may not make sense to you but can tell us a bit about the problem.

CNET Forums

Forum Info