Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Cameras forum

General discussion

Please help choosing camera

by dragon18007 / November 9, 2007 11:29 AM PST

Hi

I know nothing about digital cameras and usually just buy disposable ones when going on holiday but we are going to New york in December and I was wanting to get my sister a digital camera that will take good pictures of timesquare etc at night as all the ones she took last time with the disposables were too dark and you could hardly make it out.

Im from the UK so a price range of

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help choosing camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help choosing camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Choosing Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 12:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Some possibilities
by AndyfromVA / November 9, 2007 9:19 PM PST

I notice your proposed cameras all have 12 megapixels. Unless you're making poster-sized pictures, 12 megapixels is overkill. It also results in more noisy photos (noise blurs the picture).

For 150 pounds ($300), you can purchase some very nice compact cameras. Canon makes excellent pocket-sized cameras (in the UK they're called ixus - they are all very good) and the 570IS and 720IS (a bit larger but still fairly small), Sony makes the Cybershot W-80 and W-55 (small and slim), Fuji makes the F40fd which is very good in low-light situations, Nikon has the L15 (a new model which looks good) and Panasonic has the TZ3 which has a 10x optical zoom (for far-away shots).

Collapse -
thanks
by dragon18007 / November 9, 2007 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: Some possibilities

Hi

Thanks for he info, I've narrowed it down to either the fuji F40fd or the canon A570, as they seem to have good night shots and I think the canon has image stabalisation?...

what would be the best out of those two for taking pics around new york in day/night conditions?

Collapse -
Digital Camera Suggestion
by rosie82 / November 10, 2007 6:28 AM PST

I would suggest the Canon Powershot S3 SI digital camera. It is available in the U.S. in your price range.

I have shot approximately 2000 pictures with my Canon PowerShot S3 IS. I have been using mode setting Program (P) for indoors with ISO 80 and the Large Superfine compression setting. For outdoors, I have been using Shutter Speed Priority (Tv) with ISO 80 and the Large Superfine compression setting.

Indoor pictures have been shot with and without flash, depending on the available indoor light sources. The flash seems a bit weak beyond ten feet, and a bit slow to recharge if you are trying to shoot quick successive shots. Knowing these limitations, I have had very nice success with my indoor pictures.

Outdoor pictures in bright sun and no shade have been shot from 1/1000 shutter speed with some clouds in the sky, to 1/1600 shutter speed with hardly any clouds in the sky.

Outdoor pictures in bright sun, but in shaded areas have been shot from 1/250 shutter speed to 1/800 shutter speed.

Pictures at an early morning outdoor sports activity with bright sun and long shadows from trees have been shot with a shutter speed of 1/500.

At the early morning outdoor sports activity with the bright sun and long shadows from trees, there was no problem viewing the subjects with the Viewfinder. Also, Continuous Shooting Mode worked very well. It perhaps, works a bit too well, because you start running out of card space quickly.

There have been no problems using the LCD Monitor or Viewfinder with the indoor shooting.

However, outdoor shooting is a different story altogether, except with the outdoor sports activity as mentioned above. The LCD Monitor is extremely hard to see in bright sunlight. Also, the Viewfinder is extremely hard to see in bright sunlight. You point at your subject as best as you can make it out, and if there is enough time take a second shot, hoping for the best to obtain a good composition. Here is where a computer photo program with cropping comes in quite handy.

I have had very nice success with my outdoor shooting.

Battery life has been over 300 pictures with alkaline batteries.

About the strap. It seems to be holding up well, except that the lettering is starting to come off, and I have not had the camera a month, yet. The side of the strap that had PowerShot, now reads PowerSho. Not a big deal, but if you are going to put your company name on the camera strap, do it well, or not at all. It just looks tacky.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!