PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Please help! Can't find matching 6-pin 12V 5V Power supply

by gh2946 / April 6, 2011 12:56 PM PDT

I have a idotconnect metal gear box 3.5" Hard drive.
The box reads 3.5" IDE TO USB 2.0/1394A

I lost the power adapter for this hard drive and ALL my stuff is on it.. it's 6-PIN and it says "DC IN" where it plugs in to the Hard Drive.

I've been googling this company, the product, the adapter.. I cant find anything with this PIN layout.. is this a typo?? I found something similar, with the 5V and the GND Reversed..

SEE PIC BELOW
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i440/grimlocksmom/Photoon2011-04-06at23542.jpg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help! Can't find matching 6-pin 12V 5V Power supply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help! Can't find matching 6-pin 12V 5V Power supply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be cheaper to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 1:17 PM PDT

Get a new enclosure. I owned a few of those speed metal drives and that enclosure is not special.
Bob

Collapse -
Better to...
by Willy / April 7, 2011 12:15 AM PDT

Having your link explains alot(thanks). As Robert offered, replacing the enclosure would be the better fix "if" you can't find another AC wart. Plus, the cost may push you into getting a new enclosure anyways, if you found one. I also consider this an unique adapter, because of the dual-voltages, so it becomes harder to replace.

Check these links:

http://www.alleletronics.com
http://www.bgmicro.com

-OR- google away for surplus or used parts vendors.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What do I search for?
by gh2946 / April 7, 2011 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Better to...

I just need to get the data off this hard drive first.. but I need to power it up! what should i be searching for? is there a specific name for this kind of adapter?

Collapse -
You should be able to take the drive out
by Steven Haninger / April 7, 2011 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: What do I search for?

and plug it into a port on your computer's motherboard. It should be either IDE (PATA) or SATA, If no port is available, disconnect one from such as a CD ROM or secondary hard drive. Plug that drive in and pull off what you need. Good luck.

Collapse -
One or the other...
by Willy / April 7, 2011 10:50 PM PDT

As explained to you the simple fix was to replace the enclosure. The new enclosure would have the required AC adapter. You swap HD out and then use the new enclosure to access data. Once done, you have the new enclosure as a working ext. HD again. If that doesn't work provided all was done correctly, then you have some true or 2ndary fault to deal with. Also, Steven's suggestion to gain access for data alone, provided you have the required port and cabling, use a desktop PC and mount it as an int. HD in proper setup. Either way will work to gain access to data.

Collapse -
What do I search for?
by jtob2 / April 8, 2011 5:43 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!