PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Please Help! Boot nightmare won't end!

by jhawker23 / January 1, 2010 3:51 AM PST

I'll start off by confirming that I have spent hours researching and trying several of the recommended methods of repairing the MBR. I have not found anything that works in my situation.

I would really appreciate any help with this!

Here's the rundown...

Lenovo T61 - Windows XP Pro

Downloaded a display driver, when I rebooted the Windows startup screen runs for approx. 20 seconds and goes to the blue screen stating unmountable_boot_volume and restarts.

Here's what I've tried...

1) Booted from win98 boot disc. Tried using chkdsk /r. Received a message to use scandisk.

2) After booting from win98, cannot change directories from boot disc to the hard drive.

3) Booted from WinXP boot disc. I attempt to use the recovery console. I press r and receive the message - Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

4) Boot from PC Doctor 2.0 disc. Selected Hardware Info... Physical Disk Drives... (info reported)

Disk 0: Size 80 GB
Partition 1
Bootable: YES
Tyoe: 6 DOS Large File System
Start: 32 Sectors from beginning of disk
Start: Track: 0 Head: 1 Sector: 1
End: Track: 66 Head: 63 Sector: 32
Size: 136015 Sectors (69MB)

Partition 2: Empty
Partition 3: Empty
Partition 4: Empty

5) Still within PC Doctor 2.0 - Running Diagnostics... (results follow)

Controller: PASSED
Linear Verify: FAILED
Random Verify: PASSED
Read Surface Scan: FAILED

The error log reads...

025-025-000-20100101-33-IDE Interface: Failed (Read verify error (Corrupted-Data) occured at sector 49152.)

025-199-000-20100101-35-IDE Interface: Failed (DMA read error (Corrupted-Data) occurred at sector 56769.)

So, I can only see and run tests on the hard drive by booting through PC Doctor. However, this utility does not offer the functionality of repairing the MBR or repairing bad sectors.

PLEASE HELP! I sincerely appreciate any ideas or suggestions!!
Thank you!
Brad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please Help! Boot nightmare won't end!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please Help! Boot nightmare won't end!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly. Get a new drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 5:11 AM PST
Collapse -
And in minutes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 5:13 AM PST

The 120GB model is sold out. Try the other sizes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.