Yes, SPINRITE claims to fix bad sectors but for that much I can get another drive.
I've watched what must be some thousand folks battle bad drives so I feel for them but can't give any advice short of what I use to fix this issue.
The first T61 I found came with an 120GB SATA laptop drive. How much are those? 29.99 at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ST9120822AS-NDW-R&cat=HDD
How much is Spinrite? 89 bucks http://www.grc.com/cs/prepurch.htm
Seems clear what I would do next.
I'll start off by confirming that I have spent hours researching and trying several of the recommended methods of repairing the MBR. I have not found anything that works in my situation.
I would really appreciate any help with this!
Here's the rundown...
Lenovo T61 - Windows XP Pro
Downloaded a display driver, when I rebooted the Windows startup screen runs for approx. 20 seconds and goes to the blue screen stating unmountable_boot_volume and restarts.
Here's what I've tried...
1) Booted from win98 boot disc. Tried using chkdsk /r. Received a message to use scandisk.
2) After booting from win98, cannot change directories from boot disc to the hard drive.
3) Booted from WinXP boot disc. I attempt to use the recovery console. I press r and receive the message - Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
4) Boot from PC Doctor 2.0 disc. Selected Hardware Info... Physical Disk Drives... (info reported)
Disk 0: Size 80 GB
Tyoe: 6 DOS Large File System
Start: 32 Sectors from beginning of disk
Start: Track: 0 Head: 1 Sector: 1
End: Track: 66 Head: 63 Sector: 32
Size: 136015 Sectors (69MB)
Partition 2: Empty
Partition 3: Empty
Partition 4: Empty
5) Still within PC Doctor 2.0 - Running Diagnostics... (results follow)
Linear Verify: FAILED
Random Verify: PASSED
Read Surface Scan: FAILED
The error log reads...
025-025-000-20100101-33-IDE Interface: Failed (Read verify error (Corrupted-Data) occured at sector 49152.)
025-199-000-20100101-35-IDE Interface: Failed (DMA read error (Corrupted-Data) occurred at sector 56769.)
So, I can only see and run tests on the hard drive by booting through PC Doctor. However, this utility does not offer the functionality of repairing the MBR or repairing bad sectors.
PLEASE HELP! I sincerely appreciate any ideas or suggestions!!