HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

PLEASE HELP! Archos or Ipod?

by donaldbellcyborg / February 16, 2008 3:32 AM PST

I am at a loss... I just got a archos 504 80GB and the DVR station. But now I'm running into some problems such as portability (the archos
504 is B-U-L-K-Y and H-E-A-V-Y!) and recording quality (I don't own a cable box so I can't schedule tv recordings, and even when I do record with the DVR station the recordings look noisy) So I was thinking of selling the archos and then getting an Ipod touch 16 GB (it would be an even trade as far as money) What do you think? (Hurry! I'm going on three big trips soon and I need some media!) Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLEASE HELP! Archos or Ipod?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLEASE HELP! Archos or Ipod?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have experience with iPods?
by ktreb / February 16, 2008 3:53 AM PST

Specifically, video-playing iPods? Do you already have content that will play or can easily convert to play on the Touch? And do you know how to do that or know someone who knows? Or are you willing to purchase content from iTunes? Getting video content is probably going to be your biggest hurdle because iPods are limited in the types of video files they can play. Video seems to be your main concern. If you can get over this hurdle, the Touch is a nice little (as in thin and light) player. I have one and like it very much.

Collapse -
yes sir ee bob!
by donaldbellcyborg / February 16, 2008 4:05 AM PST

Yes, I already have a 3 gen ipod nano and LOVE it!

Collapse -
you can try switching to a 605 WiFi 80GB
by JonTitor / February 16, 2008 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: yes sir ee bob!

its a lot lighter and thinner than the 504 80GB

Collapse -
a possible reason to wait
by ktreb / February 18, 2008 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: yes sir ee bob!
Collapse -
Grrrrr...(*messes up hair in frustration*) I don't know!
by donaldbellcyborg / February 18, 2008 8:01 AM PST

I want to wait for that price drop! (*Breaths deeply*) I think I'll just wait a few months and then see where the ipod touch stands.

Collapse -
another option is the Nokia N800
by JonTitor / February 18, 2008 9:26 AM PST

it's features match the iPod Touch and more, and it's cheaper

Collapse -
iPod touch - it's just that more portable
by electronista / February 16, 2008 1:38 PM PST

Archos' "serious" media players are just too bulky. I can't see how someone would try to carry anything larger than the 405 in a pocket, and even that's a stretch. I own an iPod touch -- you can definitely fit it in most pockets, though I'd get a sleeve case just to make sure a freak accident doesn't smash the screen.

I love the iPod's interface, especially for videos. Just as long as you're aware that the iPod only supports MPEG-4 and H.264 natively, you're golden. That shouldn't be a huge issue, especially if you're willing to rely on a lot of video podcasts (most are encoded to work with iPods) or iTunes Store purchases. There are tools like Videora that often have iPod-ready presets.

The Internet access is also a real strong point. Archos does have Wi-Fi and a web browser, but from experience the Archos option (which uses Opera) is slower and doesn't draw web pages as well. The iTunes Store and YouTube aren't quite as handy, but they're good in a pinch if you want new content without waiting to reach a computer.

With 16GB, you'll need to be careful of how you manage content. I'd tell iTunes to only sync your most recent (or just your unwatched) videos if you're the sort to have a lot of video at any one time. Personally, 16GB is just enough when I factor in my music, but I have about 14GB of audio loaded on the touch at any one time. If you don't need (or care for) as much music, it'll be easier.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.