General discussion

Please Help!!

I am going to usa one year and I want to get a phone, my friends form US told me o get the samsung galaxy nexus becuase it is a very good phone, do you agree or should I get another one. ( Im looking for a cheap one(less than 400 us dlls)

thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Please Help!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please Help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
pros on Galaxy Nexus

so far, i've heard many pros on Galaxy Nexus, seems quite good, maybe you can have a try.

- Collapse -
First find out which carrier you intend on using

This is important since there's quite a patchwork of cellular technologies used in the U.S. vs the rest of the world, which predominantly uses GSM/UMTS consistently, making it much easier.

Verify with your friend that the Nexus will work with a carrier in the area you will be living when you are here. OTOH, the Nexus is a decent choice and AFAIK could be used with either ATT or T-Mobile, since they are using GSM/UMTS. That phone would not work on Verizon's network though, since they use different technology (CDMA/EVDO). Also keep in mind most U.S. carriers mandate a data plan as well with smartphones (=$$$).

If you can spend $400 though, you might want to have a friend buy one here and add a line to someone's plan so you can get a subsidized price on a newer model with better performance (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S 3). The Nexus has been out on the market for some time now. The T-Mobile branded Galaxy S 3 would also work for you when you returned home on foreign GSM/UMTS networks. Although it lacks LTE, you would still get a lot of use out of that one.

- Collapse -
yes

yes, it is a great phone. I like mine very much)

- Collapse -
YES

It's a good choice, you can have a try

CNET Forums