General discussion

please help

my computer will not boot up. i turned it on this morning and all i get is a black screen with a blinking white line in the upper left hand corner. can someone please help?
HP Pavilion a1330n
windows xp
3800+64 processor

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: please help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A few of my PCs do that when....

A few of my PCs have a buggy BIOS. To let them boot I unplug all the USB things and try again.

- Collapse -
re-help

Thank you for your help. I tried what you suggested but it did't work.
Do you have any other suggestions?

- Collapse -
At this machine's age.

I'd pull the hard disk drive and see what happens next. I do this since it's the next most likely failed part.

Since we can boot from CD that's a great way to boot up some Ubuntu bootable LIVE CD to see if the machine is otherwise OK.

The great news is the hard disk drive is about a 50 buck item.
Bob

- Collapse -
See if this helps
- Collapse -
Do you get the HP Splash screen?

If so can you get into Safe Mode? After the Splash Screen start tapping F8 until you get a DOS like screen. If so select "Last known good configuration".

If no to the above do you have the XP CD or the HP recovery disks?

- Collapse -
Thanks for you help.

I found out that I got a virus and it wiped out my windows.
I really appreciate all of the suggestions that I have recieved.
Thank you all.

CNET Forums

Forum Info