Computer Help forum

General discussion

please help

by kissofdeath212002 / December 1, 2004 1:09 AM PST

My computer has been incredibly slow latly, it takes forever to open websites, and its slow w/every thing, i did a virus check and it didnt find a virus, i've also ran spybot and adware se and its still being really slow, is there any other program or anything i can run that might help out? i've also been getting alot of popups lately, is there a pop up blocker i can d/l that actually works, i've tried a few but they don't work that great....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: please help
by Yew / December 1, 2004 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: please help

Spybot is currently kind of worthless as a spyware detector/remover, and AdAware is better, but not great. Look around for some others.

Then, stop using Interent Explorer. It's almost surely the source of most of the problems you're having. Download a copy of Mozilla Firefox, and make that your new default browser. Avoid IE like the plague, save for twice monthly visits to Windows Update for security patches.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 3:32 AM PST

KOD,

A little more information about your computer would sure help, the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM you have installed, type of internet connection and anything else you can think of that might help. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

In the meantime, here are a couple of links to procedures that should help with the general operations of the computer:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

After following the procedures above, make sure to run Scandisk/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive.

As far as a pop up blocker, Yewanchor's suggestion of using another browser, such as "Firefox" is a good one. Personally, I like to use a HOSTS file which helps with a lot of pop ups, and some use the Google Toolbar which has it's own pop up blocker.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by kissofdeath212002 / December 1, 2004 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: please help

o.k well i am running XP, i have 1.20GHz ram, its a AMD athalon processor, and i have DSL, everything was working great till a just latly, i have plent of space left on my hard drive, well thats all i can think of. and thnx for the help

Collapse -
by tlc5661 / December 4, 2004 8:36 AM PST

I installed the new yahoo tool bar it has a pop-up blocker and anti spyware on it.I dont have any pop-ups on my computer at all. Hope it works for you

Collapse -
by Echo2 / December 4, 2004 8:53 AM PST

Hi kissofdeath 212002!

First, delete your files and cookies in Internet Options ( I assume you are using Windows ). Then do a disk cleanup. Run a disk analysis and, if necessary, do a disk defrag.
Second, have you downloaded and uninstalled many programs lately? If so, get a good registry utility like TweakNow (it's free) or Regclean ( I think it's free too). CCleaner is a popular and free tool for these purposes.
Download an optimization suite maybe. This is a good link for this kind of utility http://www.registry-repair-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Third, download a trial version of Giant Antispyware or Spy Sweeper and run a thorough scan.
If you have any problems feel free to get back to us.

Regards,

Collapse -
by Echo2 / December 4, 2004 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re: please help

I forgot to say that if you have downloaded and uninstalled a lot of programs, you will have to delete their folders from C\Program Files.

Collapse -
by WabbitKiller / December 7, 2004 1:42 AM PST

Hey man . Try this and see if it helps at all. Click start , click control panel , click on remove programs & then go through the list and remove whatever you do not use . Then click on your start menu again and click run . Type in msconfig . Go into your start menu and remove the programs you don't use or even if it is one that you click on to use ( No sense in having programs starting up with your computer and taking away neccessary memory ) . Once you are done with that run reformat . If the problem is still happening try using a different browser such as mozilla firefox . If that doesn't help then i would suggest doing a full recovery of your pc . Hope this helps you out . Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?