PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Please Help!!!!!

I have just upgraded my motherboard(to a P4S800-MX) and processor and when finished everything worked except sound.

I have tried restarting, reinstalling and checked software and bios but couldnt find any reason why it woulnt work.Im trying to use the built in audio

My system:

P4S800-MX mobo on the sis661FX chipset
Celeron D 2.66Ghz overclocked to 3Ghz
256Mb pc3200
radeon 9250
ati 40Gb Hdd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please Help!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please Help!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think I'll pass.

In reply to: Please Help!!!!!

Overclocked and having problems. Sorry, your choice here.

Besides, no mention of motherboard drivers, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
more info...

In reply to: I think I'll pass.

I started without it overclocked and it was fine. Although it was previously overclocked to 3.2 by its previous owner so that could be the problem but i don't know if he had the same problems with audio.

Also the audio codec is realtech AC97

Im using directx 9.0c, audio driver version 5.10.0.6200, audio controller sis 7012, and AC97 codec ALC655

its a 6 channel card and when i change either the line in or mic port to a speaker i can get sound as if my computers speakers were the rear or center speakers. however this only gives me sound to windows and certain games as i play Savage and it either doesn't support surround sound or i haven't got it configured right.

Any help would be appreciated.....I'll try anything

other information: im using two speakers and a sub.
the speakers connect to the sub and there is AV into it for sound from TV e.t.c but i have it to my computer using a cord that converts it. I also tried reinstalling XP onto another Hdd but that didn't work. I think i just need to buy a new sound card.........do I?

Collapse -
Your choice.

In reply to: more info...

But the life of an overclocker is like that. Sometimes it all works, another boot and it's "what happened." Go back to stock settings and try again, however you can lose parts when overclocking so be ready to pop for cards or boards.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks....

In reply to: Your choice.

ill try the stock settings see if that solves my problem.

oh and by the way does overclocking one component make problems for other components?

thanks for the help

Collapse -
it all works now...

In reply to: Your choice.

i finaly got onto the previous owner and he had moved some of the jumper caps for sound.

im also putting my CPU down to stock speeds to be safe

thanks for the help

Collapse -
Now for the fun.

In reply to: it all works now...

Now that it works you can play with the overclocking. But when I find a failed overclocked machine, my first step is back to stock...

I hope you see why.

Bob

Collapse -
not yet...

In reply to: Now for the fun.

i don't think ill be doing any anymore overclocking until i get a good heatsink/fan plus a chassis fan and after i upgrade my ram it might not need to be overclocked anyway

Collapse -
Lesson's learned

In reply to: not yet...

By the time you add up all the 'better, higher performance stuff' you have to buy for overclocking, you could just get the better CPU and forget the overclocking. For some, it appears the goal is reaching the highest clock speeds...vice running the PC for it's intended use.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
still getting cooling

In reply to: Lesson's learned

i am most probably just going to get myself more ram and the upgraded cooling not particularly for overclocking but for simply cooling cause my room gets to high temperatures in the summer, over 30'C and i currently keep my case open, cause one day when i touched the hdd it was that hot u almost couldn't touch it. so chassis fan would be good.

thx for all the help

Collapse -
Chassis fans are a necessity in most PCs and

In reply to: still getting cooling

fans to cool HDDs can be very helpful too.

Ultra Cool makes a 3.5" x 5.25" frame with an 80MM or 92MM fan called the UC-002. So it fits a 3.5" bay or 5.25" bay and can make a big difference on the HDD temp.

Good Luck

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.