General discussion

Please Evaluate Performance of FM in Receivers

I was disappointed that all the CNET reviews basically ignore the performance of the FM (and AM) radio in the various Home Entertainment receivers. That is a major consideration for me in which receiver I purchase to replace my aging Onkyo receiver. Doesn't anyone else care about that?
Thanks for your consideration.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Please Evaluate Performance of FM in Receivers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please Evaluate Performance of FM in Receivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
To be honest;

No, I don't care. If I want music I go with cd and if I want info I go with AM radio. Have I missed a lot? I have heard of HD radio and subscription radio (whatever that may be).

- Collapse -
Usually...

...weak performance is related to lack of a usable radio signal in many cases. When I bothered to extend a simple $.85 dipole antenna all the way to the ceiling, the number of FM stations I could suddenly tune in doubled, and the ones which were already there sounded clearer. This was with a eight year old Onkyo A/V receiver, btw. YMMV.

If FM was surround they might make an effort to compare among the various receivers IMHO. Given the amount of music streaming in general via laptops and into HT setups, FM performance probably is by default going to be more of an afterthought.

- Collapse -
FM on receivers

To me, besides the quality of FM reception on a HT receiver, my biggest gripe is the lack of intuitive controls on a receiver for programming radio stations and then tuning into them. I have an old Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver and the FM tuning mechanics are a nightmare. Now I rarely use the reciever for radio. I use other methods.

CNET Forums