Question

Please can someone help me get my wireless internet faster?

Hi,

I've been using my homes wireless internet for years now and it's always worked fine, nice and fast and without and hassle. A couple of weeks ago for seemingly no reason, the connection still says it's the same but the speed has completely dropped off. I can no longer stream from youtube without having to wait an age for it to load and I'm desperately trying to download The Witcher 2 which at it's current rate (70-80kbs) will take over 2 days! Previously when downloading games the rate has been around 250kbs. I use a wireless dongle which pick up the signal from the house router and I've tried it in various USB just incase that made a difference. I've also ran several virus and anti-malware programs to make sure I don't have any sneaky trojans slowing things down.

Does anyone have any ideas why this has happened or what I can do to get the speeds back to where they were? Or are there other posts with similar problems that you can link me to?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Please can someone help me get my wireless internet faster?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Please can someone help me get my wireless internet faster?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
What happens if ...

a) you switch to another channel (try all)?
b) change the location of the laptop to, say, 1 feet from the router?
c) try another dongle?
d) try another router?

Kees

- Collapse -
Some answers

I must admit I'm not exactly a whiz when it comes to wireless details but I hope some of this information is of some help.

Another chanel? I'm not sure how to do that and would my dongle do that automatically?
I use a desktop which is all set up in my room so I'm rather loathed to the idea of hauling it downstairs.
Unfortunately this is the only dongle I have. It's a Belkin 54G Wireless Adapter 802.11g 54Mbps.

We only have the one router and I've tried resetting that but its made no difference. Is there anything else I can try relating to the router?

I know I probably sound pretty useless but that's because I am!

Any other suggestions please?

Josh

- Collapse -
Re: changing the channel.

That's done with the router management software. The same as you used to set your wireless (WPA) password. If you forgot, the manual tells you how.

Channels go from 1 to 14 and usually the default is 7.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Did you read this recent discussion?

CNET Forums