Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Please advice on my Wifi security tips

by Gakada / January 22, 2005 3:50 PM PST

Please advice as needed.

Wireless security setting (beside standard PC security settings)

1. Use WPA instead of WEP
Pro(s): more secure, more password strenght, currently its harder to hack.
Con(s): Not every device are compatible (have not use WPA) yet.
Each device need to "ADD" manually (ssid name and password) to connect to the network.

2. Use Mac address filtering
Pro(s): Only device with assigned Mac Address will connect.
Con(s): You have to add each new device Mac Address, for them to connect.

3. Disable SSID Broadcast
Pro(s): Supposedly invisible, so you have to "ADD" manually
Con(s): You need to broadcast your SSID, in order for new device setting... (then disable broadcasting again, after the device have been setup)

4. Change your SSID and Password regularly
Pro(s): Self explained
Con(s): resetting all devices that want to connect (Add Wireless connection and typing new password)

5. TURN OFF your Access Point when not in use.
Pro(s): "The Most" Secured thing to do. Limiting the "stolen" bandwidth connection time.
Con(s): Everyone who need the connection, must have access to the Access Point device location... to turn it ON.

Note: this will be best, IF the device that need wireless are in one location, so the Wireless access point can be place nearby.

6. Prepared a Hard Wired connection (if possible) in all location as needed... as a backup.

Note: Just one Cable (from the router) + a Switch + Straight Cable (lenght as needed, from device to the switch), So anyone need a hardwired connection can plug the cable to the switch, in the location... (doesn't need to run several long cable to the router)

7. Use a monitoring software, if needed (need a little more knowledge to keep an eye on the software and to understand what was going on)

8. any additional tips?

General Tips:
1. Place your Access Point in the least obstructive location, a little high near the ceiling, if possible.

2. Microwave, Cordless phone etc. can affect your Access Point signal, Keep it in separate location... or look for different frequency range for those devices.

3. Place your Range Expander (if any) in the middle between your Access Point and your wireless devices.

4. Experiment by changing the device position or turning the Antenna, for best signal strenght.

5. any additional tips?

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please advice on my Wifi security tips
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please advice on my Wifi security tips
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A comment on item 3
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 3:59 PM PST

Many do these things and then complain a range expander doesn't work.

KNOW what you are doing?

Collapse -
Thank you RP.. what is your suggestion...
by Gakada / January 22, 2005 4:31 PM PST
In reply to: A comment on item 3

Broadcast or not to Broadcast?

is there an easy tips on this?

Because many said Not to broadcast... how do we deal with the 'range expander' problem, if we choose to Not broadcasting SSID.

Thank You again

Collapse -
Not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 9:59 PM PST

But the issue is simple. If one does all this and it doesn't work (as in the case of the expander), then one needs a little education on "how things work".

I wonder why the no broadcast SSID is debated heavily. I will NOT enter into any debate but will share that the SSID is going to picked off if packets are flying. All it does is make the system a little more quiet and stealthy.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank You RP, for clarifying the SSID tips
by Gakada / January 22, 2005 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Not.
Collapse -
Easy to Use Wireless Security Software
by lucidlink / April 18, 2005 1:24 AM PDT

LucidLink Wireless Security is based upon the most current security technologies available today, including 802.X, 802.11i, WPA, WPA2, and RADIUS.

LucidLink just announced a free offer of it's $99 wireless security software called Lucid Link. http://www.lucidlink.com/

It received Wi-Fi Planets best of show award twice!

Ryan

Collapse -
Mentioned In Your 'Newbies' Post...There's One Disadvantage
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 18, 2005 9:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't
by sirnoop / April 18, 2005 9:50 AM PDT

know about proprietary sec software particularly in this area when there are plent of good open source available rather than just buyin binary. Look how 'secure' windows is not that I would be suggesting same with this product having never used it.

I had a look at there site and I am not really sure what it does? Does it set up and manage AP for you? or just connections? I probably should download and play Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.