TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Playing Standard DVD Widescreen Version on Blu-Ray Player

by genebean66 / June 15, 2009 2:41 PM PDT

Hi I bought a new Blu-ray Player Magnavox NB500MGX! When I played a widescreen DVD movie on my new player It played like a full screen version on my TV! My 19 Inch TV is an old Samsung 1997 model! There is no black bars! It has black Bars when I play on my standard DVD player but no black bars on my blu-ray player! So whats the deal on that?? Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing Standard DVD Widescreen Version on Blu-Ray Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing Standard DVD Widescreen Version on Blu-Ray Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Pepe7 / June 16, 2009 2:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Widescreen on old TV
by Dan Filice / June 16, 2009 3:48 AM PDT

Aside from Pedro's suggestion, how do you have your BR player connected to your old TV? Unless you have it connected using either Component or HDMI connections, the output of your BR player will default to 4:3.

Collapse -
Good point ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / June 16, 2009 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Widescreen on old TV

Collapse -
If I Understood You What you saying
by genebean66 / June 16, 2009 12:18 PM PDT

I connected Blu-ray player to my TV using A/V Cable You know Yellow Video, Red & White Audio! Is that what you talking about??

Collapse -
Your not getting any HD
by givemeaname / June 16, 2009 1:34 PM PDT

You MUST use HDMI or componet (Red, Blue & Green cable) to get HD.

You need to save for a new tv really if you want HD, 19" is small even for a PC monitor. You can get a nice tv for well under $1500. $1k will even get you something way better then what you have now. You can get a 50" 1080p plamsa for like $900 now, I saw an add on TV for Sears $549 ($300 off a $800 tv) for a 42" panasonic plasma (? on the model #) for fathers day sale.

Collapse -
The OP's referring to playing SD DVDs...
by Pepe7 / June 16, 2009 2:57 PM PDT

...via his new BD player. He's only looking to get the correct aspect ratio from what I read anyway.

Collapse -
Yellow video cable
by Dan Filice / June 16, 2009 3:11 PM PDT

If you are using the yellow RCA video cable, then your BR player is defaulting to output a 4:3 signal, not 16:9. Since you are watching SD DVDs, you would not see true HD, but if you had a proper TV, the BR player would upscale your DVD picture to whatever the maximum resolution a new HD TV could handle. Since your TV does not have Component connectors (Component connection uses 3 RCA-type cables for video, which are Red, Green and Blue and audio is by separate cables.), you are only seeing the resolution of your TV, which may only be 480 lines of resolution. On your BR player you have Picture Format choices, one of which is 4:3 Normal. When using this and while trying to watch a Widescreen 16:9 DVD, you will get an image that has large black bars on the top and bottom with an image across the middle of the screen like a band aid. If your BR setting is to default 16:9, then the image you get on your 4:3 will be squished vertically (people will look tall), but you won't have black bars. Unfortunately, your BR player is technologically way more advanced than your TV, so to really see Widescreen DVDs in their full glory, you will need to buy an HDTV which will have a 16:9 screen, which is what the other poster suggested.

Collapse -
Are you certain?
by Pepe7 / June 17, 2009 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Yellow video cable

Hi Dan- I have an older (secondary) "HT" setup in my den. It's a Sony DVD carousel player connected to a 27" Sony Triniton (w/ older Onkyo & Bose surrounds). It's really basic, like everything used to be before the wave of gizmos hit all our homes ;). Anyway, the DVD -> TV connection has only gone as far as being upgraded to S-Video from the original (yellow) composite. The only settings we had to mess with were on the Sony DVD player in order to see the OAR on the SD shaped Sony TV screen. How would the OP's situation be any different, since the BD player, albeit lower end, still supports SD content via DVDs? FWIW, there was nothing we had to change on the Sony TV to accommodate the anamorphic widescreen content.

Collapse -
rewind/hold that thought...
by Pepe7 / June 16, 2009 3:00 PM PDT

That would be true only for playing blue ray discs. SD DVDs played back with that same player could still come through to his SD TV in the correct aspect ratio, even from a blu ray. There's plenty of bandwidth via the old cables for SD ;).

Collapse -
I like to thank everybody for thier help!
by genebean66 / June 18, 2009 4:12 PM PDT

I figured out the settings on blu-ray player like some of you said it has to do with the settings! So I went to settings on video I try 16:9 squeeze nothing happen then I tried letter box mode BAM!! it works! I'm a happy camper now! some you said I need a new LCD TV right now I can't afford! I try to find full time job, But I got part time job, When I get full time then I get 22 in LCD TV! Once again thanks for your help!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?