PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Playing home videos on different dvd players

by denlog_1 / January 24, 2006 9:58 AM PST

I'm trying to burn a dvd of my home videos that will play on My home DVD players that are hooked up to my TV's. Problem is that one player will only play DVD- and the other will only play DVD+ recordable medias. When I rent a movie from blockbuster it will play on both players. Is there some software that will bridge this gap or is there special DVD recordable media that does this? How do Rentals get around this? My DVD burner will record DVD-r, DVD-RW DL, DVD+R, DVD+R, DVD+RW DL. Thanks for any help. I'm a newbie at this

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing home videos on different dvd players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing home videos on different dvd players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 10:24 AM PST

I have to keep track of who wants DVD minus and DVD plus when I send them out. The "factory made" DVD is a pressed affair which is another technology.

Collapse -
by carp11 / January 30, 2006 9:40 AM PST

Rental(or ones you buy ) DVD's are made in a format called DVD Rom. Many of the newer burners have the
capability to do bitsetting or book typing so that
other DVD players view a burnt disk as a DVD rom disk.
This can be done on DVD+, and DVD DL+ media.You can do a search for your unit and find out if it is capable of doing this.Try Video Help.com. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
I've tried "book type" and no difference.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: DVD Rom

Why is that?

Collapse -
Book Type
by carp11 / January 30, 2006 10:18 AM PST

I'm assuming when you say you have tried book typing
that you have set it up in your burner if necessary
and it has the capability to do this?

Collapse -
Yes. But I still find that I need to send out Plus or Minus
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Book Type

According to them telling me which works better.

I have this APEX 603 that will not play anyone's recorded DVD material, but would play a recorded VCD (it's on CDR), but then again it won't play CDRW media.

I don't think "book type" is a panacea here.

Collapse -
by carp11 / January 30, 2006 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Book Type

Hi again,
I forgot to say that your stand alone player may simply not like the media brand. You can do a search for your unit and find media brands that it likes.
This was just another thought.

Collapse -
After close to a dozen brands...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: Edit

The APEX 603 sits in it's box to be given away. It even had problems playing Gladiator. After some research it appears that this title was not only copy protected but dual layer.

Some players will not accept recorded media regardless of any fiddling it appears.

Book type is notable, but I didn't find it to help.

Collapse -
Apex 603
by carp11 / January 30, 2006 11:30 AM PST

Sorry that you can't find a solution. I'm kind of out of ideas except to suggest you try afterdawn.com. They seem to have many people involved and can usually come up
with a solution or suggestion in a lot of different areas. What suggestions I have posted here have been learned at afterdawn.
Good luck,
(I've just today posted to this site and hope it's okay
to mention other forums?)

Collapse -
Having been playing with recordable media and such for...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: Apex 603

After many years (close to 20) I think I've exhausted the discussions about this and have come down to some truisms.

1. Not all players play all media types.

2. There is no magic setting that will make it work.

3. Figure out what type works on what and stick to it.

4. Some players will never play recorded media such as the APEX 603 and Samsung 8500. Spread the word to avoid these models.

You name the software and I've probably run it or tried it. It's not a software issue for the players that are ... picky.

Collapse -
by Willy / January 31, 2006 12:03 AM PST

APEX is the lowest rung of the DVD player ladder. I've seen stacks of them at storefronts being returned for whatever reason as I couldn't see the "return tags" at some distance. At the sametime, I see stacks of them being offered and they're the cheapest available, so that explains alot. This besides the -/+, book mode, etc. issues. For a player you may want to look for "progressive scan" ones and/or those in higher $ cost bracket. Not a cure but some insight of what I've found.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?