Samsung forum

General discussion

Playing HD media from TV (USB) with 5.1 sound

by alejandrocao / June 4, 2010 5:52 AM PDT

The LCD model LN32C550 can play files mkv (H.264) HD and others from USB. I want to connect my TV (LN32C550) to a home theater (HT-TZ322) and get the sound in 5.1, connecting the devices through the optical cable TV (out) with HT(in). Could I get 5.1 sound through optical out when I'm playing from the USB a mkv file or similar?

If it's not possible to make this connection work , how could I harness the power of TV to play these formats from USB devices and get 5.1 sound in a home theater?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing HD media from TV (USB) with 5.1 sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing HD media from TV (USB) with 5.1 sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good Question
by nick82bk / August 10, 2010 1:08 AM PDT

^^^^ Yes, I am wondering the same thing

Collapse -
Re: Good Question
by alejandrocao / August 10, 2010 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Question

Do you already have a home theater? Do you try any solution or workaround? What lcd model do you have? I hadn't try a home theater with my lcd yet. Some posts here in the forum indicate that it's not possible but it's not very clear.

Collapse -
It works
by alejandrocao / October 4, 2010 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Good Question

A friend bought a LCD LN40C550, and tried connecting to an A/V receiver via the optical output and it works. The DTS sound can be decoded. I'll buy the HT-TZ322 home theater which has a digital audio input, and thus able to obtain the 5.1 sound output from the TV's USB.

I hope this information is relevant.

Collapse -
have u done this?
by virbhardwaj / June 8, 2011 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: It works

Collapse -
Be sure to check the manual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2011 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: have u done this?

While we know it is possible it does not mean it will work. For example I read a few manuals (not for yours) and 5.1 only come out if the input was from OTA HD!.

Collapse -
have some doubt
by virbhardwaj / June 9, 2011 11:18 PM PDT

u mean over the air (setup box with HD)..?

Collapse -
No doubt here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: have some doubt

Remember that I've seen this and why I warned folk about it. After this many posts I'm not sure what more I can add other than OTA HD does, in most sets pass the 5.1 audio.

Collapse -
For me it's running...
by alejandrocao / June 10, 2011 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: have some doubt

I play mkv with dts and the sound is perfect... i bought the home theater samsung and connect it with the tv via the optical cable.

I didn't understand which is the question.

Collapse -
Yes it is confusing. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: For me it's running...

Here's the deal. We know it is possible to pass 5.1 from all sources. This is known.

What you don't seem to grasp is that HDMI and HDCP mandates that content be dumbed down if not presented at that device. I'm unsure how much clearer I can state that while it could work there are agreements and licenses preventing this from being enabled.

Does that clear it up for you?

Collapse -
by alejandrocao / June 10, 2011 4:37 AM PDT

For me is working and is enough. The sound is very good; if I had a better equipment, would use an external media player which can ensure that the sound is 5.1.

Collapse -
by virbhardwaj / June 10, 2011 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: For me it's running...

to alejandrocao

Collapse -
Can't confirm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Because of the requirements of HDCP and more, such may or may not work. If you can check your product manual you may read where 5.1 is only available from OTA Antenna sources.

This is by design to meet the requirements of HDCP and more.

If your set does pass 5.1 from USB, it's a bonus feature but from what I've experienced, it rarely does that.

Collapse -
yes u r right
by virbhardwaj / June 14, 2011 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't confirm.

thanks for reply.

yes, u r absolutely right. i also think that cant get 5.1 output from usb...

Collapse -
Re:Playing HD media from TV (USB) with 5.1 sound
by mnyasir / October 17, 2010 3:26 PM PDT

Yes, you can. I know in Samsung TV manual its clearly stated that you can get 5.1 channel sound only from TV Tuner thru ur optical output, but it can output 5.1 channel sound through USB and streaming as well. It only works with media encoded with certain codecs for the USB player to detect and output 5.1 channel sound. Most mkv files with high bitrate can output Dolby Digital sound. All you need to do is during play click the 'Tools' menu button on ur Remote control go to 'Sound Settings' and go to the very bottom of the menu and there you will see 'SPDIF Audio output format' which is by default selected to 'PCM' (2 ch downmix). Click the left or right arrow button on ur remote and you can change it to 'Dolby Digital' (5.1 ch). You can notice the difference once you hear it on ur receiver.

Collapse -
how about 5.1ch AAC audio from usb
by kannanplus / February 27, 2011 12:48 PM PST

Great! So 5.1ch AC3 works from USB. How about 5.1ch AAC audio? Most MKV files contain AAC 5.1 audio rather than Dolby. Is that sent through optical out or will it be only 2ch output (same sound from all speakers)? How is it when the reciver supports AAC 5.1 and when it does not?

Collapse -
Re: Playing HD media from TV (USB) with 5.1 sound
by alejandrocao / October 17, 2010 11:15 PM PDT

Do you have a samsung tv connected to a home or receiver? Is it Samsung too? I want to buy a home theater but I can't decide which one. It's for an a little apartment so I don't need a lot of stuff but the samsung's models now came with a plastic that is awful (i don't know how it's the sound).

Any idea or suggestion?

Collapse -
Re: Playing HD media from TV (USB) with 5.1 sound
by mnyasir / October 18, 2010 3:36 AM PDT

Samsung is not known for making best quality sound systems out there. You can buy any model you like from Yamaha or Denon. The best 5.1 ch entry-level AVR i would recommend for you is the latest 2010 model from Denon AVR-391. The best mid-level is from Yamaha RX-V467. It all depends upon what your needs are. You can check out this review for latest Denon AVR-391 here.
I personally would like to have a Netwrok streaming (Ethernet) and atleast a USB player option in all entry-level and mid-level AVRs, which is very useful, but these companies are trying to juice out profit from every single feature. I hope in future it will be a standard feature.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?