HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Playing games crashes computer with rapid repeat sound.

by SwitchBladeII / April 8, 2010 8:43 AM PDT

First off I need to say I have updated ALL drivers. This is a brand new custom build gaming computer with a quad core Q8200 2.33 GHz. 4GB ram, and a Radeon HD 4870 1GB. I use a 550w Power supply (brand new as well).

What happens is in most high graphic games my computer will randomly shut down into a black screen with my monitor looking like it is in standby mode. Then either two things will happen, the first is the sound will instantly turn into a rapid repeating noise, or the sound will continue as if i am still playing the game, but after a good 30 sec, it will turn into the rapid repeat noise as well.

Once or twice I have gotten vertical bars across my whole monitor, not artifacts, just vertical bars. Along with the rapid repeat sounds.

I have done everything trying to fix this computer, but I just don't know what causes these crashes! I've heard a lot of people complain about my graphics card, because it is Asus brand, but I even RMA it to Asus and they sent it back saying it was completely fine. The GPU monitor shows that the memory of the card is a bit hot, but well within the threshold of working properly.

So please help if you can,
Thanks.

GPU-Z Log: http://www.filedropper.com/gpu-zsensorlogofficial
Dxdiag.txt: http://www.filedropper.com/dxdiag

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing games crashes computer with rapid repeat sound.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing games crashes computer with rapid repeat sound.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 8:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hmmm
by SwitchBladeII / April 8, 2010 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

After reading the entire thread you posted, it seems my tower is not good enough for air circulation, it is a quite old tower... I may go buy a Antec 1200.

I'm just afraid of buying a new tower and having it not be the solution >_< But I guess either way I need the airflow.

As the guy in the other post did, I have done all of the same tests, mem86+, Hard Drive tests from hitachi, other 3rd party test for 3D testing etc. All passed.

I will buy the tower and get back to the results.

Collapse -
Wait, wait. There is an easy test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm

Just remove the side cover and point a fan at the machine.

If it's heat the problems will subside.

Collapse -
Hmmm no good
by SwitchBladeII / April 13, 2010 1:02 PM PDT

This is not a heating issue. I tried the fan and my temps were all in the 50-60's

I still think it's my graphics card even though its not over heating, but please continue to help me if you will.

As mentioned before I have the latest drivers as well as done many tests such as memtest86+ and other video card ram tests, 3D rendering tests...

Collapse -
Then change horses.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2010 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm no good

Try a Nvidia card next. Sorry if I keep this short as video card discussions can be legendary or long. I've learned to change these sooner than later and save my time.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, but...
by SwitchBladeII / April 14, 2010 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Then change horses.

It just pisses me off that my card is brand new only used 6 months... 3 year warrenty on parts AND labor... Asus will not do anything.

Is there some way I can force them to refund me my money on this card? I don't think it's right I spent a good $150 on a card that isn't working.

Collapse -
Yeah.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, but...

I know the feeling. I also can't explain it why my old cards (done this too many times) worked in some other machine. It was odd and disheartening. My learned lesson was to swap early at the first sign of trouble.
Bob

Collapse -
hmmm ok
by SwitchBladeII / April 14, 2010 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah.

Well I don't know much about NVIDIA, I do hear they tend to overheat. I am not a Overclock person, so what would you suggest to fit with my system? My power supply supports 2x6 pin connectors.

By the way, thanks for all the support you've given, much appreciated!

Collapse -
I use the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2010 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm ok

The best video card for the money list that comes out each month at tomshardware. My best card is some Nvidia Zotac fanless gt240 1GB card. I'm not a gamer so that's what I use now. The fanless is nice since I wanted a quiet machine.

Collapse -
core clock
by SwitchBladeII / April 15, 2010 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: I use the list.

Just curious about 1 last thing. I read a post about the GPU core clock.

It's advertised to be:
Core Clock 750MHz
Effective Memory Clock 900MHz

But I noticed when a game is NOT running, the core clock is 500mhz, when a game IS running, it changes to 750mhz... Now i'm curious if this switching from 500 to 750 has any possibility to causing these crashes, because they recommend to using rivatuner to set the clock to always be at 750mhz.

Thanks once again for your feedback.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2010 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: core clock

I didn't read that clock thing. I thought the card nice since it's not the slowest thing around, the power it draws didn't make me replace the power supply and fanless = less noise.

Here's guessing that some may want to compare clock rates but wouldn't benchmarks prove more than a clock rate?
Bob

Collapse -
RE:core clock
by megaspeed2 / August 15, 2010 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: core clock

the change of 500mhz to 750mhz while being used in games is just what intel has programmed the cpu to do, they call it stepping it makes it less powerful when you dont need the power to save energy, but im sure if it is causing problems it can be turned off

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.