The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Playing DVD's, DVD-HD, Blu-Ray discs on the same player?

by earroyo309 / December 6, 2006 4:27 PM PST

Can all formats be played on the same machine? If not, it is outrageously expensive to buy, for example, a Blu-Ray player. Any advice, except robbing a bank or larceny, will be considered. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing DVD's, DVD-HD, Blu-Ray discs on the same player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing DVD's, DVD-HD, Blu-Ray discs on the same player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hybrid drives
by jbart610 / December 7, 2006 12:49 AM PST

My advice: Wait. Broadcomm just came out with a chip that can decode both HD-DVD as well as Blu-Ray, and Ricoh just came out with a blue laser read head / mechanism that can read both formats. If you can wait for HD movies for 12-18 months, this whole format battle should be a moot point as hybrid drives become available. Both LG, Samsung and Pioneer had hybrid plans at one point but have put them on hold.

That said, I couldn't wait. I already had an Xbox 360, so I bought their $199 add-on for HD-DVD. Movies cost around $20 at Target, or $25 at Best buy.

Collapse -
Woot Broadcom...
by djzaki / December 7, 2006 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Hybrid drives

But boo legally binding, technology killing contracts.

I remember hearing a while back ago from a previous episode that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD both had clauses, or what have you in their licensing agreements that a dual format player would be in violation of those contracts and manufacturers would, under that, not be allowed to produce a hybrid drive.

Good for business, bad for consumers. -_-

Collapse -
Contracts
by jbart610 / December 7, 2006 8:17 PM PST
In reply to: Woot Broadcom...

Yeah, I remember the same podcast. I'm not sure it was totally accurrate. EETimes two weeks ago reported that "someone" is working on a dual format drive, and I read somewhere else that LG secured contracts with both HD-DVD and Sony/Blu-ray. I hope it's true... but time will tell. I would assume that the contractual details would have had to have been worked out for Broadcomm to release an ASIC to decode both formats.

Collapse -
Never thought of that heh.
by djzaki / December 7, 2006 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Contracts

Yeah. Now that you mention it, I realize it would be kind of dumb if Broadcomm would just go and make a dual format decoding chip for like... the heck of it. Heh. AND I also like the fact that LG got the contracts. I like a lot of their stuff.

It will definitely be interesting to see where it all leads, though it won't be as perfect as just having one high-def format it looks like a step in the right direction.

Collapse -
Format for digital movies, etc.
by earroyo309 / August 24, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

Here we go again: The war on formats has been waged with DVD vs the other one. The result will be a blow to those of us that pay the bills. Hope this one is decided so that we can move forward and not quibble about something so trivial. Most don't care what format is used. Just decide and move on, Please.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!