Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

player identified as HDD

by billsmasher / April 1, 2009 9:10 PM PDT

No matter what I do, or what kind of mp3 player I connect to my Windows xp Pro computer or which usb2 hub I use, they all show up as another Hard drive and wont allow music transfer of any kind, by any means. I've had no luck with a brand new 8Gig ipod nano and no luck with smaller cheaper 1Gig Element flash type players. I returned the ipod but when the Element player was connected to another machine, transfer was accomplished eaisly. What could be the hicup in my system's get-along?
Peace,
meanmike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: player identified as HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: player identified as HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, I apologize in advance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2009 9:45 PM PDT

But this sounds as if no one told you about the MTP and MSC "modes" of such players. I know the manuals for such things are small to non-existent and some won't use iTunes so those will wonder how to use the iPods.

I see nothing amiss with your experience. It would be what happens when you plugged in almost any player to any PC.
Bob

Collapse -
MTP and MSC "modes" of such players
by billsmasher / April 3, 2009 9:15 AM PDT

Bob,
You're right. But neither did you. What "about the MTP and MSC "modes" of such players"? Was the Apology in advance a clue to some mp3 technology conspericy? Come clean, it'll make you feel better. Teach me the mistic knowledge of the ancients. Enlighten me and speak the truth of the mysterious acronistic "MTP and MSC modes" of such players.
Peace,pot, microdot
billsmasher

Collapse -
Peace!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 11:29 AM PDT

My apology again. I'm not so much the answer man but try to arm you with the alphabet soup or "Three Letter Acronyms" (TLA) so you can hit up google, yahoo, ask or other places to catch up.

If I wrote about MTP or MSC modes, I'd just be duplicating the web.
Bob

Collapse -
as for the iPod...
by ktreb / April 1, 2009 11:28 PM PDT

You're supposed to be using iTunes to transfer your music. If you were trying to drag and drop via windows explorer, then of course it's no wonder why you weren't having any luck. You never mentioned using iTunes, so that's my guess.

You can also install Floola on the iPod to avoid using iTunes, but I believe you still need iTunes for the initial set up.

Collapse -
as for the ipod
by billsmasher / April 3, 2009 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: as for the iPod...

Been there, done that...
didn't you believe me when I said I'd done all I could think of?
Any way, thanks for the suggestion.
Peace
billsmasher

Collapse -
it's not that I didn't believe you
by ktreb / April 4, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: as for the ipod

But you didn't specifically say that you tried iTunes. And I've come across way too many people who didn't know they needed to install iTunes to transfer content to their iPods. While you don't come across as a noob, I had to mention it because you didn't.

Collapse -
mp3 player modes
by billsmasher / April 6, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

Looks like bob really is going to do his best to reduce the clutter and duplication on the Internet. Make 'em work for it, ahy bob? While I admire your intentions, a little straight forward help is all us ignorants ask of the folks populating this small section of the web. Some of us actually enjoy being of some help to other members. Why post at all if only to suggest the asker search elsewhere for a solution? Thanks for your confidence in my ability to GOOGLE my problem. I trust another reader can clear up the mystery of transfering mp3 files from hard drive to portable device.
Peace,
billsmasher

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2009 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: mp3 player modes

If you don't know what the name of the feature is, you don't stand a chance to find it.

Since I gave you the name, my work is done.
Bob

Collapse -
re: sorry if I was unclear
by billsmasher / April 6, 2009 5:19 PM PDT

Bob
.."My job is done"...? What job is that, bob? You were on the money in your firt reply to me. You admitted "you aren't much of an answer man". Your further posts reinforce the extreme thrift you demonstrate at sharing any knowledge you may possess. Don't fool yourself into thinking you've helped, or take any confort in making fun of someone with a problem? "If you don't even know ... you haven't got a chance at finding it" is a different kind of help than I've gotten here in the past. Suggesting I find my answers elsewhere seems to conflict with the whole purpose of a computer help board. On top of that, the "elsewhere" wasn't a specific url that addresses the issue, but you suggest I google it. You call that pointing me in the right direction, well, I submit, "I am not impressed". No need to reply. You've already proven how useless your posts are, to me at least. My best thoughts are if you reply to any other posts, you can't be any less help than you were with me.
go fish bob,
billsmasher

Collapse -
Back to you Bill.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2009 2:30 AM PDT

I read your post and can't find where you are helping others find the answers.

Instead I read your posts and you take people to task for helping people find the answers.

Why is that?
Bob

Collapse -
Back to you Bill
by billsmasher / April 12, 2009 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Back to you Bill.

What? "To task"? *** does that mean?. My original post concerned seeking help. Where does seeking help involve offering help? Bob, I just wanted help in completing the gift of an mp3 player to a little boy. I bought the player, but couldn't load the thing with songs for the waiting tike. Shame on me. Looking for solutions from you, shame on you. Get it? Stop trying to explain your incompetance.
Move on, will ya?
billsmasher

Collapse -
Remember that this is all volunteer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2009 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Back to you Bill

Just like the person who helps you change your flat tire they may not do the entire task for you.

-> To be sure I wanted to equip you with the right terms so you can go out and find out on your own what was going on.

Let me be perfectly clear I do this for a purpose. Its to help people learn to fish for the answers. But like fishing I help you get the right bait to attract the right fish (answers.)

If all I did was hand out fish then no one would learn how to fish.

-> If you want fish, please head to the stores and ask the plentiful sales folk for the answers. Or call up those support lines. Here I will continue to help people fish but if it angers some there I don't hand out fish then it's best they know if this was a fish market then it would not be free.
Bob

Collapse -
"They show up as another hard drive".
by Kees Bakker / April 6, 2009 5:29 PM PDT

What exactly do you mean? Does it say "hard drive" or "harddrive", or maybe "disk' or "diskette"?

How did you transfer files to the Elements on the other machine and why didn't it work on your machine. Nothing easier than moving files to a hard drive, I'd say.

How does a non-player, standard USB thumbdrive show up in both your machine and the other machine?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.