Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Player for car use

by isoprenaline / February 28, 2007 8:54 PM PST

Needs

20gb minimum
Simple, clear menu system
Adaptor to the cigarette lighter to run on the cars battery, cradle good to if available
May need FM transmitter unit (not sure if car stereo has a Aux-in jack yet, have not received car yet)
Preferably available second hand in Australia. Cheap as possible.

I am a total n00b at this so any help/comments/advice appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Player for car use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Player for car use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
update
by isoprenaline / March 2, 2007 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Player for car use

Just got the car (it's a sweet as Mazda 6 luxury sports by the way!) No Aux-in jack. And very little room around the cigarette lighter port. It's going to be tricky to fit a unit into the small space next to it and adaptor will need to be long and thin. I was thinking of getting a double adaptor so both the Player and the FM transmitter could be plugged in at once but I don't think there will be room. May need to go for a Nano/Mini sized unit instead unless I can get something with a cradle and find somewhere to stick it on the rather busy console of the car.

Unlike the iTrip the after market Transmitters for the other brands do not seem to be powered by the unit it's self but with batteries or externally. Wonder what sort of battery life they afford?

Any other thoughts in light of this added info?

Collapse -
Lack of accessories
by ktreb / March 2, 2007 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: update

The problem with many players is the lack of accessories, especially if you want to truly dock them. Most accessories are geared toward iPod and thus, easiest to find. So, this is the direction I'm going in.

I am one of the masses that owns an iPod. I actually own several (5.5 gen, 2nd gen Nano, 2nd gen Mini, 1st and 2nd gen shuffle). I don't have an aux input either, nor do I want to install anything. With my iPods I use the DLO Transpod (it works best on iPods with dock connector - video iPod/Nano). My iPod sits in the dock, which plugs into the cigarette lighter, powering both the tranmitter and the iPod. If it is a tight fit around the lighter port, it comes with an extender that you can adjust at several points to get the right fit. It works for me, but it is not cheap - about $100 US. But I've already spent that much on transmitters that don't work and don't power my player.

Good luck on your search!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.