Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Playback problem in WMP 10 - AVI Files

by earthtosky16 / September 26, 2004 2:30 PM PDT

I have XP-Home, Intel Celeron 1.10 GHz, 256 RAM,
My Video "Card" (chip) is Graphics Adapter: Intel(R) 82815 Graphics Controller.

----------

I installed the new WMP 10, and now it plays my AVI (video-movie) files badly - choppily, with lots of choppy freezes and lags in the video and audio. WMP 9 played them fine.

It plays my WMV files just fine (and other files fine). I tried disabling video acceleration; that did no good.

I reinstalled Direct X and checked for Windows updates.

My DivX 2.5.5. player plays them just fine (except the video controls (brightness, etc.) won't work. WMV is the only player that I can brighten the image in, and I need that. AVI files play very dark in my system, even when I up the display gamma.

Can anyone help me with the choppy playback problems?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playback problem in WMP 10 - AVI Files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playback problem in WMP 10 - AVI Files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Playback problem in WMP 10 - AVI Files
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

No. Here's why. Microsoft considers DivX a "rogue" codec. They don't offer any condolences when they break it.

Have you tried MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC?

Bob

Collapse -
AVI Files are DivX? That's news to me.
by Kiddpeat / October 27, 2004 11:32 AM PDT

I thought DivX was a very efficient compression format. That sure doesn't descrive AVI.

Collapse -
Re: AVI Files are DivX? That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2004 3:59 AM PDT

DivX is great stuff, but Microsofties I've talked to are not shy to tell you what I just related.

Bob

Collapse -
Ummm, AVI is a Microsoft format. It is not DivX. Why would
by Kiddpeat / October 28, 2004 4:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Ummm, AVI is a Microsoft format. It is not DivX. Why wou
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 12:26 AM PDT

Sorry, AVI can have external (non-Microsoft) extensions and again, Microsofties have shared with me that they don't have to support or check that they break third party codecs.

If this bothers you, then rest assured that you need to talk to the right people. I'm just relating to you the issue and outlook of the Microsofties that I've cornered at trade shows on this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and that has what to do with DivX? I know, its a secret
by Kiddpeat / October 29, 2004 2:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
and that has what to do with DivX? I know, its not a secret
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

I can encode in DivX and the file EXTENSION is still .AVI, but the FOURCC code tells the player what decoder (CODEC) to use. As such can be a non-Microsoft CODEC, this means the CODEC has to interact with Microsoft's players and OS.

I'm sharing that Microsoft feels no compunction if they break such CODECS.

http://www.moviecodec.com has many addon CODECS and many have had to be revised to keep working.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
by cali_kush / October 27, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

hey earthosky16, iF it helps you at all I have the same problem. It happens within the first few seconds, and only when I open a .avi file.Zoom player and WMP 10 are affected but Divx player is not. At first I thought I had a trojan or my antivirus running in the background eating up resources, but I was clean . I think it is a problem with xp sp2 and wmp 10. Its messing around with directshow in a funky way.... i think. However I'm not certain. I'm going to post something on zoom players forums and also doom9. I want to get the to the bottom of this. If anyone else come across this then please post your experience. Here are my specs that matter:

Athlon 64 3000 @ 2.2 ghz,1GB pc2100 DDR,
Geforce 5200 ultra OC'ed,
WD 80GB SATA 8mb cache
running xp sp2/ forceware 61.77 WHQL

Collapse -
by cali_kush / October 27, 2004 3:51 AM PDT

In reply to my earlier post here is a solution. Do this.

1)Uninstall divx 5.22 bundle
2)Then download mp10setup and reinstall wmp 10

This should do the trick. Hopefully now you can view *.avi files smoothly. I mostly watch xvid and divx 3 encodes, so I do not know if divx 5 encoded files will work without the divx codec ( probably not) Also I have latest fddshow and latest xvid ( koepi's build) installed, so you should be okay.
Here is my theory on whathappened. Microsoft releases sp2+wmp 10. Sp2 pre-release candidate was reported to be buggy with official divx code some time ago. Divx releases some new revision that writes over wmp directshow viewer when sp2 is released. This causes wmp to malfunction and divx player is not affected. Basically official divx 5.22 is not compatible with sp2 and wmp 10.
I hope that this works for you, please let me know. Now off to watch one piece I go!

Collapse -
by KennethBartle / October 30, 2004 7:56 AM PDT

Is that divx5.22 bundle something that I would have had to deliberately download and install? I haven't, but WMP10 still won't play avi files. If you have any other suggestions for rectifying WMP10's problems - or can tell me how to see if that divx bundle is installed on my system (os is XP) - please email me: kenbartle@prodigy.net Thanks!

Collapse -
Yes. You have to install non-Microsoft codecs if the AVI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 8:33 AM PDT

If the AVI is encoded with a non-Microsoft codec then you have to install that codec. Microsoft has been very clear to me about this subject. I will not enter into any debate if this is right or wrong, but am more than willing to lend a hand to others.

Here's the site with most codecs you will need from time to time. But first, don't install them all. Just the ones you need!

http://www.moviecodec.com

Bob

Collapse -
playback problem in WMP 10
by gilly44 / January 8, 2005 8:01 PM PST

Get rid of the darn thing, it has been nothing but trouble since I downloaded WMP 10, it upset my whole computer, SP2 is another problem too, dont touch with a barge pole too buggy

Collapse -
How to determine AVI encoding and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2004 12:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
by cali_kush / December 8, 2004 3:56 PM PST

Earthtosky: If you are still having problmes with choppy video playback then I may have a possible solution for you. I've figured this out a few months ago and figured I'd post it.
Okay, if you're using the latest windows make sure you have at least directx 9a(9c latest) installed. Then download zoom player. Google it and you'll find the url. After installing zoom player go to settings and change the video renderer option to video mixing renderer 9 (VMR9) from default. Also you can change the brightness settings as well.
The default installation of zoom player emulates standard wmp 10 settings. If wmp 10 had the option to force VMR9 rendering then this bug would be fixed. But from my knowledge however, there is no way to enable VMR9. Its a shame too, cuz I think Microsoft did a fantastic job overhauling wmp from prior versions. I watch alot of avi encoded files so I use zoom player out of necessity.
It so happens zoom player is a great alternative to Windows media player. But I prefer wmp10's much sleeker gui. Try this out and let me know it works for you.If I figure how to gt wmp10 running smooth then I'll post it later.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.