How To forum

Question

"Play To" function on MP3 player Software

by Grizler59 / July 6, 2013 2:32 AM PDT

I will try and describe in detail what I am trying to accomplish with my home network.

On my (LAN):
- Router
- PC with Windows 7 (Wired)
- (AVR) Pioneer VSX-1122K Audio Video Receiver (DLNA Compatible, Wired)

I would like to use my PC to "Play To" my AVR, Playlists & single songs that I currently have stored on my PC. Please understand, I can current play music using my AVR to access my music files on my PC. I can also use Window Media Player to "Play To" my AVR, however the "Play To" player within Windows Media Player is very limited on functions, does not even have a "Shuffle" option, but it does have the "Play To" function.

I have looked till one eye has gone blind for another MP3 player with this "Play To" function and have not been able to find one. Does anyone know of one that has this function?

Also I am aware of DLNA media servers, but do they have the ability to do what I am trying to do? And they most all appear to be a nightmare to setup.

I know this is becoming a popular configuration with alot of the AVR's out on the market today.

Please, if anyone can help me out here, that would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Play To" function on MP3 player Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Play To" function on MP3 player Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Wait, so you have it working?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 2:59 AM PDT

"Play To" is what it is on WMP (windows media player) and DLNA serves up content but I'm left to guess you want to use your playlists and more.

In this case you probably just want to connect up your PC to your HT system in some way such as AirPlay with iTunes and some AppleTV or Apple gear connected to your HT system.

Setup is hard, but from my view, not nightmarish. The only time it gets hard is when your client is upset with iTunes, apple or microsoft and wants to create something new.
Bob

Collapse -
I tryed to make it clear, but maybe it is still confusing.
by Grizler59 / July 6, 2013 3:55 AM PDT

Simplified,

I want to control the music that I play on my AVR or as you call it, my HT system using my PC media Software.

WMP does allow this but is a very simple very limited player for doing this.

Airplay is wireless and is for use with Apple products. I own no Apple products, I also have the AVR and PC both wired to the router (LAN).

So, bottom line, is there another application for the PC, MP3 player or Media player application that allows me to control the music being played on my AVR using my PC and Mouse?

Collapse -
No and yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 3:59 AM PDT

No. As you discovered, no. Maybe you need to ask why this is.

Yes, I noted how to solve it with a direct audio link or adding some AirPlay device.
Bob

Collapse -
What I have discovered
by Grizler59 / July 6, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No and yes.

The only thing that I have discovered is finding an alternate application that will "Play To" and external device.
WMP will do this.

So, yes, WMP is capable and the system does work to do this. But WMP only has a very limited player that opens up that connects to my AVR. Looking for a player with at least a Shuffle option.

I do not own a Apple Product, nor do I plan on buying an Apple Product anytime soon.

Quote "Maybe you need to ask why this is."
Really the only thing I need to ask first off, Is there Another software application that has the capability of "Play To" and external device other then WMP. I cannot believe that there is not one out there.
Again, this is all possible, just need another player with more then just a Play and Stop button.

Collapse -
If there was, you would have found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: What I have discovered

I'm sure you will remain puzzled as long as we ignore patents.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!