Laptops forum

Question

Play games with my laptop

by give_it_up_to_jesus / May 27, 2015 4:58 PM PDT

Hello there!
I recently bought a laptop (not for gaming). Its a pretty good one from what i can tell, but i actually never used it for gaming. Now i want to play some games such as the Witcher 3 or GTA V.
I think i would be able to play them only my CPU needs to be upgraded. Am I right?
-AMD Radeon R9 M290X
-8GB RAM
-Intel Core i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

If im right, what would you suggest to upgrade?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Play games with my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Play games with my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: upgrade
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 5:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
already tried
by give_it_up_to_jesus / May 27, 2015 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: upgrade

Thanks! well i got the "Assassins Creed: China Chronicles" and it runs only on low graphics otherwise its really laggy.. i dont know why. Do you?

Collapse -
Not me either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: already tried

The GPU looks pretty high for a laptop. In the top 10% really so it may be game settings. For example a game a client had trouble with had me check the game maker's discussion boards. I found that some reported turning off AA helped. In their case that worked.

Did you read the Witcher game boards to see if folk have noted something like that?

(to be clear, you have to dig into this or get back to the PC maker.)
Bob

Collapse -
tried changing the settings
by give_it_up_to_jesus / May 27, 2015 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Not me either.

i tried to change all kind of settings in the game menu (even at other games) but it doesnt seem to change too much. I cant even play at full resolution (1080 x 1920).

How can it be possible that i cant play such games in good quality with (apparently) such a good laptop?

Maybe its because im running Windows 8.1? Or could it be another reason? What do you mean exactly with AA?

Rob

Collapse -
Back to the Witcher game boards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 10:44 PM PDT

It's not 8.1 in my opinion as I find it to do better than 7 here. Remember I didn't do the work for you by checking out the game boards. I have done that for clients (they pay for it) but the laptop looks to be OK. It's likely some setting.

Looking at http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M290X.108643.0.html reveals that some games outright do terrible on this GPU.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Assassin-s-Creed-Unity-Benchmarked.130460.0.html REPEATS THIS. Yes that's not Witcher but it does share how horrible it can be for one or the other GPU make.

To fix this you may need to get a similar laptop but with a Nvidia GPU.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks!
by give_it_up_to_jesus / May 27, 2015 11:15 PM PDT

thank you! but as i said im not a gamer, i dont know what game boards are neither is it for me that obvious that games do terrible on GPUs and not the other way round.

As a complete "noob" i thought that if the PC/laptop is strong enough, it can play the games. Happy

So you say i have to buy another GPU? (I hoped there could be another way, though this one wasnt cheap either. I thought you professionals could give me an alternative?)

Collapse -
With laptops it's another laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks!

Unlike a desktop 99.99% of laptops have no card to change out. And to add insult, the few that had cards cost so much that the cost of the change approaches what a laptop costs.

-> OK. You claim you can't find the Witcher 3 boards. Here's what I found:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/699808-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71885502

Shadow, hairworks and foliage distance. Geeks ahoy!

There's more but I agree with reducing those specific settings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?