Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Platinum Rose update...What have I started?.................

So I started a thread 2 weeks ago about getting my sweetie a Platinum plated Rose for an early St V/Day present,I also included a love poem I wrote for her.(she went nuts).

When I bought the rose,I noticed a link for Poetry.com "submit your poem in our contest",so I did thinking it was a crappy online contest,I was wrong.

Yesterday I got a letter from The International Library of Poetry which runs Poetry.com saying after reading and discussing my poem,their selection committee has certified my poem as a semi-finalist in their "International Open Poetry Contest",it's automatically entered in the finals Feb 15.I could be in line to win $1K or any other number of prizes up to a $10K annual prize.

They also sent an artist's proof and release form which I sign and return because they need my permission to publish it on it's own page in a Library quality book of love poetry.

So far they've:
Copyrighted the poem in my name
Put a copy of it on Poetry.com

One thing the managing editor was adamant about,none of this costs me one red dime and there are no obligations whatsoever.It all seems above board and on the level.

After showing my lady the letters,she fell into a coma Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Platinum Rose update...What have I started?.................
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Platinum Rose update...What have I started?.................
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) aww your a poet and you didnt no it:)

In reply to: Platinum Rose update...What have I started?.................

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And his feet are...........:-)

In reply to: (NT) aww your a poet and you didnt no it:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol you just lack my charm bro

In reply to: I'm sending the Granny Squad after you,bro....

Collapse -
Good for you:)

April, our Grand daughter won that when she was in High School and had it published in the books they send after you sign the release! I just found some more that she has written while living with us the last six months, I wish she had kept up on this as she is really good! Kids!
I was surprised to NOT find any on "How to murder Grandma" LOL Especially when I laugh at some of the things Michael pops out with Devil

Collapse -
Hey, if she's in a coma

take the rose back to where you got it and get your money back. Hate to see stuff wasted....lol

All kidding aside....kudos to you, you old romantic softy, and best of luck in the contest.

TONI

Collapse -
hmmmm

I wrote someone (now my wife) a Valentine poem. I may consider entering it, but not without her permission. She may want to keep it private.

Collapse -
If it reads like the [i]Song of Solomon,[/i]...

In reply to: hmmmm

...you can bet that she will... Devil

Collapse -
I don't like being a Party Pooper .......

..... but Orion had been selected for this, also. We learned it was a scam, although it took alot of research for Orion to realize this as he had been so excited about their ''acceptance'' and ''congratulations'' letter. Sad

There had been a little blurb in our local paper several years ago, and we had submitted Orion's poem about his Grandfather. He received, of course, the wonderful letter from them. We signed and mailed off the right to publish form, of course, and also purchased, of course, a copy of the book with his poem printed in it.

It was shortly afterward that we received the next letter stating that if he wanted to be eligible for further award consideration, that we needed to attend an ''awards ceremony'' in Florida (or some such place). HOWEVER, we were responsible for ALL costs associated with such.

Needless to say, I was pretty ticked off about it.

I wrote a letter to our local paper with the information. I haven't seen it printed since. I also wrote a letter to the jerks that publish this nonsense. I received a response from them something to the effect of: What we are doing is not illegal. It is not our fault that you don't want to give your son a chance to win.

Here's one of the links:
http://www.windpub.com/literary.scams/ilp.htm
The International Library of Poetry is one of several organizations of questionable repute operating under the internet domains poetry.com and poets.com. Once known as the "National" Library of Poetry, they are now "International."

Poetry Contest ~ Exercise caution ~ Poetry Contest

Serious poets consider the International Library of Poetry contests and their affiliated organizations to be unethical, and their free poetry contests a scheme designed to prey on amateur poets by relieving them of their money.

So ........ You may have a most fantastic and wonderful poem, but don't get too involved with the literary scam business. They are snakes Sad (sorry, Mark)

Collapse -
WOW!!! That's neat!

Link to the poem?

Hope the lower jaw is healing well Happy

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!