General discussion

Plasma, VGA great, component and composite terrible

I have a JVC GM p420 GCE. Its an Enhanced Definition Monitor.

The barebones model came with just the VGA board installed. But since then the component and composite board has been installed. I bought it after all this, second hand, so I have no idea who installed the board.

I have a good bit of knowledge when it comes to electronics and I have checked this monitor as best I can but cant see the problem.

If I connect something through VGA the picture is crisp and sharp. When nothings connected and I set the screen to VGA mode it stays perfectly black.

If i connect through component cables there is ghosting or feedback visible on screen. The amount depends on the cable quality.
If theres a dark image on screen the bottom half of the screen throws up black pixels. Also, the majority of the time there is a white pixel storm in the bottom right hand corner.
When i switch to component mode with no cables plugged in i get the pixel storm.

If i connect through composite, well its just a terrible, terrible picture.

So, considering the VGA is solid, i thought it must be something to do with the other board. I checked it, and all the grounding locations, and it seems fine. No bad caps or visible problems.

Has anybody any idea what the problem might be? Or what i should be looking for.

I tried resetting the V sync pot, but it didn't do anything.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Plasma, VGA great, component and composite terrible
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Plasma, VGA great, component and composite terrible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums