TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Plasma TV calibration

by EE40 / May 10, 2008 6:20 AM PDT

What is up with the "calibration" of plasma and LCD TVs. Best buy wants $300. 00 to send some tech out after TV is broken in(1000 hrs). They showed me a demo of what it does, it keeps dark colors from running togeather, measures kelvin temp. and sets accordingly. Sales person said all new TV's default settings are manipulated to give the best picture in the show room(more blue, more red to comp. for blues, increased contrast, etc.., and the TV's therefore run 30% hotter than suggested. They recommend the calibration and the demo shows more picture detail but I don't know if this is just another trick to get into our wallets. Salesperson said it has to be done by a certified tech and they actually open up the TV to make adjustments. It is not something that can be done within the TV's menu options.

Anyone delt with this or have any input?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma TV calibration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma TV calibration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wait.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Plasma TV calibration
Collapse -
Yes I have a calibrated TV
by gabereyes / May 10, 2008 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Plasma TV calibration

I got it about three years ago, after buying three types of calibration disc.

I love it, and I could never watch TV any other way, at first it look diffrent, but overtime youll see more and more detail and accuracy.

this is just new to best buy, it will take awhile to understand for the average consumer.

but its worth the money.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
Its not a scam
by gretzkyv99 / May 13, 2008 1:00 AM PDT

Go to ISF (Imaging Science Federation) website and it will tell you all you need to know. Cnet does an excellant job at showing you what tv's run at a calibrated setting and it does make a difference. Some of the better tv's come with a "calibrated" like setting (Pioneer Elite Plasmas) but most come with the colors much too intense. In this area some stores run as high as 1000 bucks for this service.

Collapse -
Choice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2008 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Its not a scam

Just for fun I asked for a satisfaction guaranty on the calibration. They (BB) couldn't oblige. For now I'm sticking with the DIY method and it looks great.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!