TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Plasma to 4k...bad move?

by voodooevil / October 27, 2014 9:38 PM PDT

Hello. I have a 50'' Panasonic plasma TV and with all the hype on 4k I ended up buying a sony xbr-55x850b 4K.
It truly is a different type of picture, but in your opinion did i make a wrong move?
I am still worried about xbox one gameing Lag. Did not test this out yet.
did i sacrafice?
thanks for any feedback...
joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma to 4k...bad move?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma to 4k...bad move?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
*Which* Panny plasma did you have/still have(?)
by Pepe7 / October 28, 2014 12:47 AM PDT

It is indeed a different type of picture quality. Watching films on the plasma will provide a nicer experience for many, but in a bright space, the 4K rig might be better if you are more of a multi-purpose HDTV user and not in a 'man cave' scenario. YMMV.

Personally, I still think the Sony rigs look too 'video like' for my taste, but they are still nice overall.

Collapse -
thanks
by voodooevil / October 28, 2014 2:30 AM PDT

thanks for the response.
i still have the panasonic TC-P50ST60.

i have a few days to decide if i want to return the sony 4k.

do you think 1080p is going away?

Collapse -
1080p still isn't even really here yet
by Pepe7 / October 28, 2014 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I've yet to see a broadcast in 1080p- most is 1080i or 720p. It's still mostly streaming or blue ray content w/ that higher resolution. And see the Carleton-Bale chart to get a good sense of appropriate resolution/size panels at various viewing distances. Most people never even bother looking at this before seeking out an HDTV. For reference, you would have to sit 5 feet from a 50" 4K HDTV just to start to be able to notice the increase in resolution. Some additional sharpness/clarify perceived from that higher res anel may in some cases make certain types of material not look so good either. Think 'buttery smooth film' vs 'online video' or 'video game'. YMMV.

IMNSHO you are not missing much by jumping to any Sony 4K HDTV vs that particular Panny plasma, as the ST60 is one of the best ever produced by *anyone*. Even Kuro fanatics have taken notice of the ST60, FWIW. I'd instead consider focusing on maximizing your bang for your buck w/ that rig, since it is capable of amazing PQ. What exactly are you real concerns sticking w/ the ST60(?) Did you get it professionally calibrated yet? How about light control in the viewing space? This is where the rubber hits the road IME.

Collapse -
Sony Agrees With Pepe7's Point On Viewing Distance
by Zoiper2009 / October 29, 2014 2:47 PM PDT

Sony itself, has been honest enough to state in its literature that for people with normal vision, the optimum distance to sit from a UHD 4K TV is 1.5 X screen height. You can determine the screen height of any 16X9
aspect ratio TV by multiplying its diagonal measurement by .49 So with that basic formula we find that a 50"
TV has a screen height of 24.5" Now multiply 24.5" by 1.5 and the resulting total of 36.75" is the viewing distance from a 4K TV that Sony says will allow most people to see the full benefit of 4K resolution over 1080p resolution. And, on a few occasions, Sony has even admitted that once a viewing distance of 3 screen heights is reached, most viewers will not be able to perceive any advantage in 4K resolution vs 1080p.

And, BTW, the previous is confirmed by tests conducted by the engineers at Consumer Reports. When the TVs are viewed during their tests, viewers are at an 8 foot distance from a TV's screen. Consumer Reports stated, that at that standard viewing distance, they felt that "most people would not think that a 65" 4K UHD TV looked any better than a 65" 1080p HDTV."

Collapse -
After hearing that...
by Pepe7 / October 30, 2014 1:09 AM PDT

...I may run out and buy a Sony(!) 8-)

cheers

Collapse -
keeping the plasma
by voodooevil / October 31, 2014 6:26 AM PDT

Hi petr..the sonk 4k was terrible. Tried it out for 5 days. Took it back. When i turned the panasonic back on.....wow this thing has a great picture. There is no comparison.

Collapse -
oh, that's funny
by porsche10x / October 31, 2014 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: keeping the plasma

I've seen some really nice 4k sets. They're starting to come down in price, too. Too early to get one? I dunno. It's coming sooner or later. And in spite of comments to the contrary, you can find plenty to watch in 4k. That being said, if I already had one, I most definitely would keep a Panny plasma. The only thing that has kept me from getting one is the glare from the high-gloss screen. I have yet to see a plasma that would work in my den. Too many lighting issues that I can't easily resolve. Buying new anyway? I'd look at 4k. I saw a nice big Samsung at Microcenter a few months ago for not much more than a 1080p. But replace a nice existing set, especially what you have? Nope.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Not a bad move at all
by Flatworm / November 1, 2014 1:32 AM PDT

I bought a Samsung UN65HU8550 a few months ago. I will never go back. Its picture quality still startles me whenever I turn it on. Its upconversion to 4K is uncanny. I am still exploring its exceptionally rich set of advanced features. The black levels make the whole TV disappear in a dark room when the screen goes black. I get no noticeable motion blur. The (active) 3D is the most accurate and realistic I have ever seen, even in a high-tech, high framing rate iMax theater -- no ghosting at all.

It is spectacular. Utterly spectacular. And it uses WAY less juice than any plasma.

And it is nice that some native 4K content is beginning to come out on pay services. "Breaking Bad" on Netflix is an immersive experience that enters into your nightmares. It's like looking through an open window at the action.

Plasma is likely going away. 1080i and 1080p probably won't for awhile because of bandwidth and disk capacity issues. Although there are now some higher resolution sets available, I do not imagine that they will ever be worth the price over 4K, which has now very nearly hit the human eye's capacity to perceive detail. The next thing will be OLED, and the price is dropping rapidly now (although still stratospheric) but OLED offers advantages beyond backlit LED or other designs, notably its infinite contrast ratio, extremely low power consumption, and the ability to be made very thin, lightweight and flexible, so they could be rolled up like a projector screen or taped to the wall like a poster. They're coming, but not really quite here yet.

But I think 4K is here to stay for many, many years.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.