Question

Plasma or projector for viewing photography?

Hey everyone, question first followed by details. For the $800-1500 dollar range, would I be better off buying a large plasma tv or a projector and screen if I intend to mainly use it for still images?

Details. I'm a professional photographer and for years have screened my images with clients at our studio using a cheapy projector and a DIY screen. I'm doing a overhaul of the whole studio and will be investing perhaps 1,200 in a new viewing system.

For my needs, color accuracy and size are the two biggest factors. Because I show people a still image on screen for a few seconds at a time, a fast refresh rate or "smooth motion" wouldn't do me any good, I need a nice screen for showing photography. My clients will be sitting 10-12 feet from the wall so for the sake of saving space, I was perhaps thinking a 60" tv with a wall mount that can extend out to move the screen closer when I need it to be.

My other option would be to buy a pull-down screen and a projector. I wouldn't be able to fit anything bigger than 84" on my wall so I'm not sure if there will be enough of a advantage of the projector. I can dim the lights in the room so I'm not worried at all about how bright the screen can be.

It's main use will be doing images slideshows for clients using an hdmi cable hooked up to my laptop. If I get a plasma, I would perhaps consider having a constant image slideshow playing in the background during shoots (just as something to look at). It's not for gaming or watching football, and I really don't care how thin it is, picture quality and color accuracy is what I'm wanting.

Any suggestions? If I get the projector I would need a ceiling mount and pull down screen, whereas if I get the plasma I just need a extending wall mount. I'm just not sure if 60" is big enough even if I can get it extending out two feet from the wall? Thanks in advance guys!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Plasma or projector for viewing photography?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Plasma or projector for viewing photography?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
There's no easy answer.

But you should look at reviews that include color gamut testing and more. 60" is huge. And then you have that other issue where most projectors are only 1080p so the pixels will show as it gets larger and larger. This is why you need to check the color tests in the reviews of the units you are looking at. No one pushes it over 1080p for the budget you wrote so go for color.
Bob

- Collapse -
Color gamut testing

How would I refine a search to show tvs that have had color gamut testing done? I've spent a good hour or so on the site and didn't see a way to do that. I've narrowed searches to my price range, plasma, 1080p, but I didn't see a way to include ones that have that sort of direct comparison.

I don't need it higher than 1080p (I didn't know that was even possible yet? I know about the 4k tvs but that's not what I need... yet. haha). As of right now, I have a 720p projector on a 84 inch screen and it's by no means big, I actually have quite a few clients that stand up to get closer to it. That's why if I get a 60" flat screen I would get a wall mount that can extend out (so they're sitting 8 feet away instead of 10). For that price range, should I be looking into a projector or a tv? And any recommendations? Thanks!

- Collapse -
You didn't

mention sound so I'll assume you don't need it. You also don't need a tuner in a TV. So how about googling "professional lcd monitor", browse, call sales and ask about their gamuts?

- Collapse -
Since you are on the CNET forums.
- Collapse -
Answer
Projector is the choice

A few additions to a PC with an adequate video card would be a projectors approach. However, a large plasma unit that could exceed 1080 would give some outstanding results. Plasma might need some color/hue adjustment but could be an awesome improvement over the projector.

CNET Forums