HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Plasma newb in need of some advice...

by FMichael / January 24, 2008 4:07 AM PST

I've been doing some research this past month, & I've narrowed it down to 2 plasma HDTVs - the Hitachi P42T501, & the Samsung HP-T4264...These 2 in particular looked really good on the showroom floor when compared to other plasmas/lcds nearby, have similar features, & both fall into the amount I'm looking to spend ($1,200).

Anyone have any experience with either of these 2 models? Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma newb in need of some advice...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma newb in need of some advice...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TRUTH IS I'D AVOID BOTH YOUR CHOICES..............
by Riverledge / January 24, 2008 10:55 AM PST

IN FAVOR OF THE PANASONICS IN YOUR PRICE RANGE (give or take, a hundred or so.)

FIRST, is 42" your size limit??? HDTV ALWAYS LOOKS BETTER ON A BIGGER SCREEN, 50" screens don't cost that much more.

I suggest these PANASONICs,

TH-42PZ700U
TH-42PX700U
TH-42PZ77U

Step up to the 50" SERIES

TH-50PZ77U
TH-50PZ700U
TH-50PX77U disc.
TH-50PZ750U

Please take a good look at these sets, make sure they are properly
set up.

P.S. I don't work for PANASONIC; I work for the USPS.

Collapse -
To be honest...
by FMichael / January 24, 2008 4:36 PM PST

...the Pannasonic plasmas that I've viewed on the showroom floors (Best Buy, Circuit City, American TV & Appliance) didn't appear as clear/sharp/bright as the Samsung, & Hitachi. Maybe the staff altered the settings to enhance the sales of certain slower moving HDTVs (Hitachi in particular)? I know it smells of a conspiracy, but what do I know?

Unfortunately I'm limited to the 40"-42" category (have a stand in a "nook" in our family room that's only 44.5" in width, & it positioned next to a mantle which will limit how far the sides exceed past the width of the stand)...Have looked @ the Mitsubishi 46" LCD LT-46133 (a thin bezel that'll fit), but from what I've read it sounds as though I could spend my $$$ on something better.

Thanks on your advice concerning the Panny's; I'll look @ them more closely this weekend!

Collapse -
Another turn in my search for a plasma...
by FMichael / January 25, 2008 6:02 AM PST

Went to a local tv/furniture/appliance store this morning with my brother-in-law...As we scoured all HDTVs (both plasma, & lcd) it became somewhat frustrating since many looked "very good", & as my brother-in-law pointed out - you can adjust most of the HDTVs that are on display to have a similar quality picture...Just as we're about to leave; my brother-in-law calls me over to a 42" plasma that he thinks looks "really nice". Upon arrival I see it's an LG; I'm thinking 'yeah right - an LG - no thanks'...But just then as I look closer the picture is quite nice; as good if not better IMO than many of the others on display.

After 15 minutes of fiddling with the menu options we both felt that for $1099, & a 2 year manufacturers warranty that this 42" LG 42PB4DA 720p plasma was a pretty good deal.

Anyone else out there care to share any info on this TV?

Collapse -
not really, sorry, but FYI
by jostenmeat / January 25, 2008 6:11 AM PST

Pana was selling 42" at Costco for $1,099 just days ago. while brands like Hitachi have good reps, I think I would just blindly get the Panny on reputation and reliability alone. Sorry I am of almost zero help, good luck.

Could the LG have looked better due to source? Well, its your eyes that need to be pleased, so...

Collapse -
ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR "GUT" INSTINCT........AVOID THE LG SETS.
by Riverledge / January 25, 2008 9:10 AM PST

I WOULDN'T BUY ONE EVEN IF YOU BRIBED ME!!! WHAT MAY LOOK LIKE "GOOD DEAL" NOW, MAY COME BACK AND KICK YOU IN THE TEETH.
THE PIONEER PDP-4280 and PANASONIC'S entire line of mid to high end HDTV models are far superior.

Trust us,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
LG doen't hold water to Panasonic plasma's
by rikosuave / February 17, 2008 1:51 AM PST

Whoa! If you paid that for an LG, you could have bought a Panny 720P plasma for under $800.00 which is much better rated then any LG panels.

Collapse -
No LG...
by FMichael / February 22, 2008 10:23 PM PST

...went with the Samsung HP-T4264.

Collapse -
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW HDTV............
by Riverledge / February 23, 2008 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: No LG...

GOOD CHOICE!!! YOU'D BE SURPRISED HOW MANY PEOPLE ASK FOR THE FORUM'S
ADVICE; AND THEN GO AGAINST IT, ONLY TO RETURN AND B*TCH ABOUT THEIR
PURCHASE.

BEST WISHES,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by FMichael / February 24, 2008 7:21 AM PST

...I took the advice here, & narrowed it down to the Samsung, & Panasonic plasmas. I went with the HP-T4264 Samsung due to the vibrant colors (some may call it color oversaturation), & what appeared to me a brighter screen; though I will admit the Panny's did appear to have a very crisp/sharp picture which I liked as well.

Collapse -
plasma 42 inch
by ldonal / January 25, 2008 2:17 PM PST

I have had my panasonic 42 inch plasma for two years. So far I have not had any problems. The picture is great for 720p. I also have my ps3 connected to the tv. Games and movies look equally good. Panasonic has been good to me so far. Hope this post can help. Remember, the stores change the settings on the televisions to make them look exremely bright and good.

Collapse -
Settings on the HDTVs...
by FMichael / January 26, 2008 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: plasma 42 inch

...were played around with on each TV we looked at. We spent some extra time with the LG; my brother-in-law, & I felt that the LG had a sharp picture with great color.

The salesman informed us that the 42PB4DA is a newer model (came out this past fall), & it's not being sold @ Best Buy, nor Circuit City (more or less reserved for those "specialty", or "higher-end" shops)...Dunno if that's a good thing, or not?...Either way I'll look into it some more.

Collapse -
IN THAT CASE AVOID IT.........
by Riverledge / January 26, 2008 6:32 AM PST

DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR.......DON'T BUY AN LG.

FINAL WARNING!!!

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
LG really that bad?
by FMichael / January 26, 2008 9:13 PM PST

I've heard every company has a few "bad apples", but is LG the leader of poor quality plasmas?

Collapse -
Buy a Panasonic
by paregorike / January 26, 2008 7:32 AM PST

I suggest buying a panasonic plasma.... check out Buydig.co they sell panny 42 inch for slightly over 1k.. if u dont live in NJ it's free shipping and no tax... no brainer..

Collapse -
This months Consumer Reports...
by kcfvegas / February 23, 2008 3:26 PM PST

This months Consumer Reports has a very good review of many TVs, plasma, LCD, and RP. I recommend that you pick it up. By the way, there are some LG plasmas that got very good reviews, but Panasonic got the best reviews.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.