TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Plasma main board blown... help finding the cause.

by SuperCurio / August 31, 2014 5:16 AM PDT

2 months ago I bought an NEC P42XC10 42 inch plasma monitor. The model is a few years dated, but it was brand new, never been used. I am using it for video games, movies, tv, etc.

2 weeks ago I was watching a movie on it with a Philips DVP-3680 dvd player via HDMI input. I'd been using it for about a week at this point. I went to turn the tv and dvd player on and I heard a noticeable "click" behind the tv. Even though the dvd player was on, the tv said "NO SIGNAL". I removed the HDMI cable, flipped it around, changed it to a new cable (process of elimination)... nothing worked. I tried using the composite (RCA) cable instead, and it did. I tried a different DVD player via HDMI, and no dice. So it seems that the HDMI input on my tv is broken. A service tech looked at it and confirmed that it's damaged, and the whole main board needs to be replaced.

I began looking for a main board to replace it, but in the mean time I just watched movies via composite. Well, just a couple of days ago, I'm watching a movie and there was a VERY loud "click" (possibly a spark, but i didn't see one" and the whole screen went DEAD. Nothing whatsoever except the audio still played. The power to the tv was still on as well, just no picture. My ears perked up and I noticed that at that moment, the AC unit outside was just turning on as well, so maybe they're connected? I immediately shut the tv off. Waited. Turned it back on. Same thing.

At the time that both of these things happened, all that was connected was the DVD player and the TV. No cable box yet. So the DVD player had power, the tv as well, and they were connected via HDMI / RCA connection. It's also strange that the DVD player didn't appear to be damaged (nothing else in the apt was in fact), JUST the TV. If it were a power surge, I would think it would affect them both, but again, I'm not sure.

It seems to me that whenever THIS dvd player is connected, any video port it's connected to is destined to be destroyed. Can a faulty DVD player cause damage via video (HDMI / RCA) signals? Can it be the sole culprit, or should I have an electrician come investigate the wiring in my apartment (AC unit) as well? I am going to get a new tv soon, but I want to resolve what keeps happening first before putting it at risk as well. I'd appreciate any help you can offer! I'm really unsure what to do.

Thanks,

Colby

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma main board blown... help finding the cause.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma main board blown... help finding the cause.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
2 months old? How can this be?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 5:25 AM PDT

Even in my part of the world a refurb has 3 months warranty. Your set is well inside warranty do no reason to do more than get it into service under warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
It's a discontinued model, will get money back.
by SuperCurio / August 31, 2014 5:49 AM PDT

The model is discontinued and it will be difficult to find an available "main board" to fix it. I'll get my money back, but will have to buy a new tv myself.

I really want to find the cause of this first though before I hook up something else and put it at risk, you know?

Collapse -
Let's say you want to do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 6:07 AM PDT

Here it takes oscilloscopes, DVMs, schematics and such to track it down. I can't guess how many electronics engineers you have to dive into this one.

As to boards, here, where I am, shopjimmy.com has a lot as well as ebay if we are just trying to get by.
Bob

Collapse -
Where should I begin then?
by SuperCurio / August 31, 2014 6:26 AM PDT

I'm not as worried about repairing it right now. I HAVE searched hundreds of sites for the main board. I found ONE on ebay.co.uk, but the ad expired in June. The seller won't respond to my emails. No dice on shopjimmy.com. It's been 4 years since it was made, so it's beyond scarce. Regardless, that is not why I'm here. I want to know where to begin to find the cause. Even if it's repaired, I want to resolve the cause before I hook anything up.

Where would you suggest I begin? When I go to my landlord tomorrow morning, should I tell them I need an electrician to look at the wiring in my apt? Should he look at the wiring in the AC system? COULD it have been a faulty dvd player??? Is that even possible? My friend in IT at work says that could be, but I want to understand how the dvd player could fry a plasma main board. If it's your apartment, where would you look first, and what would you look for? I guess that's what I'm really asking. Please, if you know anything related to these questions, I would really appreciate it.

Colby

Collapse -
It's a tough one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 6:42 AM PDT

Start with the maker and get the schematics. Then off to find electronic engineers with the gear to poke around. Even an entry level oscilloscope is about 4K USD so I hope all this is worth the investment.
Bob

Collapse -
So it's not worth looking into?
by SuperCurio / August 31, 2014 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a tough one.

Should I just risk it and not look into it? I'm not looking to spend that kinda money, although if it's the apartment's wiring that caused it, my landlord should be responsible to fix it. I don't know, I thought this would be a little simpler than that.

I found this thread earlier: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-534082/what-would-cause-hdmi-surge-port-connector-melted/

It was a very similar situation except with a cable box instead of a dvd player. I didn't want to add to it so I started this one. There was much better input there though, and I know there's someone that can offer a little help for less than 4k USD. That makes no sense.

Collapse -
Yes there are places where there is bad wiring.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 7:07 AM PDT

Here's something in my tool box. Really! Everyone should have this available.

-> http://www.amazon.com/GE-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA/ref=CNET

Let me tip my hand here. My first program was on a GE-210. Then I took more electronics courses and was diagnosing electronics for decades as well as running our computer repair shops. Diagnosing is not cheap. It's far cheaper to board swap.

Also, FORENSICS is even more expensive. You seem to be asking for cause, not a cure. Or maybe a board repair verses replacement. As you can guess, that's about 100 times or more expensive.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the help
by SuperCurio / August 31, 2014 7:18 AM PDT

I'll have to get one, and when I do I'll test it and get back to you. Would those be available at Lowes or Home Depot?

Collapse -
Definitely. HD and Lowes do have these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the help

Figure in the 5 to 10 range. Any more and it's a rip off.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.