TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Plasma, LCD, Projection LCD, DLP, HD-ILA, LCOS, etc. which 1

by ludedude25 / June 24, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

I am seriously considering buying a Widescreen HD compatible TV but there are so many choices.

Brands I think along the line of JVC, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung. Somewhat stick to name brands.

I look at projection TV's like the LCD, DLP, HD-ILA and other projection are a good price but have bulb life to deal with.

I look at Plasma and LCD you have pixel? issuse or defective spots that may occur.

I am most interested in one that will last longest with a good picture. Which is a better gamble? Bulb life or display screen?

I don't myself watch alot of tv but it's generaly on extremely long hours of the day kinda like a background noise or distraction. What kind of these new tv's stand up to long usage? I'm not so familiar with the latest HDTV's Are there any brands to stick with or stay away from?

The old tube jobs were kinda easy, pick a good brand with options you want and it would generally last quite a long time. My old 19" toshiba which is now my daughters tv has probably been on for 20hrs a day for 4.5 years now. It serves her as entertainment, nightlight, etc lol. The poor thing is almost 14 years old and still has a great picture almost as good as the day I got it.

Is there any chance of finding a Reasonable priced Widescreen HD capible tv that will last at least half that of the old 19 incher?

I'm looking along the lines of 42" or larger, HDMI, PC input, and good sound so I don't have to run my home theater all the time too.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma, LCD, Projection LCD, DLP, HD-ILA, LCOS, etc. which 1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma, LCD, Projection LCD, DLP, HD-ILA, LCOS, etc. which 1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

you'll get many different answers (or as most call it...opinions) so i'll give you mine.

rear projections (dlp's) have a light bulb in there that will last anywhere from 2000-8000hours. if you leave it on all the time for distraction...that will make the tv last a lot shorter and you will need to service it within the first few years of the tv's life. for that reason, i will recommend that you stay away from a rear projection.

now for a 42inch lcd or plasma. what is your budget? it'll be easier to give you an answer based on that. basically, if your budget is over $3000, i'd recommend the sony 40xbr1 as a high end tv. lg makes a 42inch lcd for around $2800 with a built in harddrive which can act as a media center for your whole setup which will give you many ways to cause "distractions" in your room. the samsung lns4051's are also great sets for around $2500. if your budget is around $2000, i'd recommend a lg, panasonic, samsung, or hitachi plasma.

Collapse -
Oh yea, Budjet
by ludedude25 / June 25, 2006 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

I'd say my budjet is probably going to be no more than $3000.

Collapse -
whatever fits your needs
by gensheng / June 25, 2006 1:01 PM PDT

If bulk is not an issue and you don't want to deal with bulbs a crtrptv is still a viable option,for a little over a grand you'll get 50+ inches.I have a lcd,plasma and a crtrptv for the garage/boy's room and think its the best picture quality of the three.The truth is all techs have positives and negatives and all will look stunning when being fed a high definition feed when properly set up.Good luck.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / June 26, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

OK time to get beheaded ha ha. They all look great but the d.l.p. sets give a razor sharp, tons of color picture periodLamps are an issue mine cost $199 from Toshiba but the lamp warrenty has been extended to 2 years good luck stewee

Collapse -
Plasma, LCD, Projection LCD, DLP, HD-ILA, LCOS, etc.
by jcrobso / June 27, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

The fact that you are going to have it on for many hours a day, leaves you with 2.5 choices. Plasma, CRT-RP and the very new LED lamped DLPs. I havn't see the LED lamped DLPs as soon as they are in the show rooms I will go have a look.
Stew says DLP but he has had his DLP set for 6 months and the lamp has blown.
Right now CRT-RP sets are "best" cost option, Great picture, 1080i, last very long, down side big and bulky.
Also CRT-RP sets give the best picture looking picture on SD(analog video) material.
After wieghing all the factors I got a CRT-RP. John

Collapse -
Got a LCD
by ludedude25 / January 5, 2007 7:12 AM PST

After much thought and reading I ended up with a 40" LCD from JVC.

LT-40X667 to be exact.

It fit my entertainment center, LCD is susposed to be best for rooms with alot of windows/ light, has a PC input, Excellent picture, and was within my price range. I caught it on sale for $1399. Also I purchased a 4 yr warantee and they suckered me into getting a line conditioner.

I have no complaints yet besides the cable and sat companies don't offer much in HD. Haven't got a antenna to try the built in tuner for local HD. DVD's look awesome with a Up Convert DVD player.

Collapse -
Good for you and have fun, but one suggestion. . .
by Coryphaeus / January 5, 2007 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: Got a LCD
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?